Bowling Green Preview

Bulls open conference play

After a slow beginning to the much-anticipated Jeff Quinn era of Buffalo Bulls football, the team will look to start a new chapter of its season this weekend as Mid-American Conference play begins.

The Bulls (1-3) travel to Ohio this weekend to battle the Bowling Green Falcons (1-3) in the conference opener for both teams. In their last meeting in 2008 at Doyt L. Perry Stadium, the Bulls outlasted the Falcons in a two-overtime thriller.

The Bulls, however, have lost three-straight games, each against teams that participated in a bowl game last season. Although it doesn't show in the win column, the Bulls believe that their challenging schedule early on will help prepare them to compete in their conference.

"We look at the last couple of games as preparation," said sophomore defensive end Steven Means. "Even though we lost three, I believe that it's going to really prepare us for this MAC schedule coming up… We all believe that we're going to do extremely well in the MAC."

Means has been a standout performer this season for the Bulls on defense. Against Connecticut, Means turned in his best performance of the season, recording two sacks and a tackle for a loss. The sophomore is tied for the MAC lead in sacks with 3.5 through the first four games of the season. He has 8.5 career sacks in 16 games.

The Bulls defense will need to limit the potent Falcons offense if they hope to have a chance in the game. Junior wide receiver Kamar Jorden, the nation's second-leading receiver, has totaled 40 receptions for 413 yards in his first season with Bowling Green.

Having a star receiver among the nation's best is nothing new for the Falcons. Last season, Freddie Barnes set an all-time NCAA record with 155 receptions while surpassing Randy Moss' MAC record with 1,770 receiving yards.

"You have to be very aware of the matchups and you certainly want to limit their ability to get the ball in his hands," said Bulls head coach Jeff Quinn. "You have to have a couple new wrinkles here and there to eliminate him in some key situations."

The quarterback who will deliver the ball to Jorden, however, is still in question.

Last weekend, Falcons starting quarterback Matt Schilz sat out due to injury. The decision to go with him or redshirt freshman Aaron Pankratz will not affect the preparation by the Bulls defense.

"We're going to continue worrying about ourselves first and foremost," Quinn said. "We know that whoever lines up back there has a good supporting crew of receivers and tailbacks, and they've got good schemes."

The Bulls offense has struggled throughout the past three games and that is primarily due to the inconsistent play of sophomore quarterback Jerry Davis. Saturday will only be his fifth career start but his lack of accuracy (46.8 completion percentage) has been a glaring setback.

Quinn, however, maintains confidence in his quarterback in spite of his growing pains.

"We know Jerry can make those plays," Quinn said. "He's got the arm. We know that and I don't think the physical aspect of Jerry's ability is a concern. I think just being able to get him mentally squared away so he doesn't over do it and put too much pressure on himself [will be important]."

Davis could get on track this Saturday as he goes up against a Bowling Green defense that allowed 721 yards of total offense and 65 points last weekend against Michigan. Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Follow all the action at www.ubspectrum.com/sports and on twitter @UBSPECSPORTS.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com