Best in the West?

The San Francisco 49ers were everybody's sexy preseason pick.

With fiery coach Mike Singletary at the helm, an aggressive defense featuring linebacker Patrick Willis, a high-powered running game led by Frank Gore and offseason addition Brian Westbrook, and downfield threats Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis, the 49ers looked like they would trample over the rest of the weak NFC West and make the playoffs for the first time since 2002.

Right now, though, they are one of only three winless teams in the NFL, sitting at 0-5 after Sunday night's loss to the Eagles. Crazily enough, 49ers owner Jed York sent a text message to ESPN the following morning, which read, "We're going to win the division."

You know what's even crazier? I believe him.

It really wouldn't be all that miraculous – just look at the remainder of the 49ers' schedule. Their remaining non-division opponents include Oakland, winless Carolina and Denver, and they have only played one division game so far (Week 1 versus Seattle).

The best cure for a 0-5 record? Two games against Arizona, two games against St. Louis, and a grudge match against the Seahawks, who surprised the Niners with a beatdown in the opener. Sure, the Cardinals made the playoffs last year, but their quarterback is Max Hall. Who, you ask? Exactly.

And though rookie Sam Bradford has been somewhat impressive at quarterback for the Rams, he and his squad did just get beaten 44-6 by Detroit.

Additionally, it's not like the 49ers have been getting blown out by everyone they've played. They've lost three of their five games by a combined eight points. If not for a last-minute drive by Drew Brees and the defending champion New Orleans Saints, a fluke of a play by Roddy White of the Atlanta Falcons, and five turnovers against the Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco could very well be 3-2.

Those excuses might be enough for fans and media, but they won't help the team dig itself out of the 0-5 hole. Turnovers have been a problem for the 49ers in almost every game, and the team needs to take care of the ball for York's prediction to have any hope of coming true.

The fact that York could be right is almost frightening – we might see a team with a losing record make the playoffs for the first time ever. Teams with an 8-8 record have reached the postseason eight times, but we have never seen a sub-.500 team accomplish that feat.

In 2008, the New England Patriots missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record. And now in 2010, a team might get in with only seven wins? It might be time for the NFL to reconsider its structure.

The NFC West is 7-12 combined right now. Six of the remaining seven divisions are either 9-9, 10-9, or 9-10, and the AFC South is 12-8. Every year, the NFC West seems to be the worst division in football, which raises two questions:

1. Is it really that crazy to think that the 49ers could still win the division?

2. Can the Buffalo Bills join?