Akron Zips Buffalo Scorecard

On Saturday night, the men's soccer team not only had to play against the best team in the Mid-American Conference, but they had to deal with the No.1 ranked team in the country.

As expected, the Akron Zips (11-0-1, 4-0-0 MAC) bullied the Buffalo Bulls (5-7-1, 1-2-0 MAC) from start to finish in a 4-0 game.

Despite the score, Bulls head coach John Astudillo thought the effort from the Zips was top notch.

"I think from almost every aspect on the field, Akron was quite a bit better and more efficient than we were," Astudillo said.

The Zips came roaring out of the gates, led by freshman forward Darren Mattocks. He posted a hat trick, scoring three of Akron's four goals. Overall, Akron outshot the Bulls 22-2 in the match.

"Mattocks is an outstanding guy once he gets inside the 18," Astudillo said. "He has outstanding speed…He's quite clever, quite tricky, and did a good job on the night."

While it doesn't show up on the score sheet, Akron dominated the Bulls in the match on 50-50 balls. Buffalo lacked poise and control at midfield in the match, leading to Akron's complete domination from the opening whistle.

Goalkeeper Nick Fetterman was tested throughout the game. After Mattocks completed his hat trick, freshman keeper Ryan Aubrey replaced Fetterman. Aubrey made three saves in the final 27 minutes of the match.

To put the game into perspective, the Bulls had no shots on goal in the match and didn't record a shot until the second half.

Though Astudillo wasn't happy with the loss, he understood the level of competition his team was up against.

He feels these types of games will strengthen his team.

"I think in the future, knowing that we have taken on three or four teams that are in the top 20, not being able to get the results but being able to play with them, the confidence is there," Astudillo said. "Whoever else we play can't be as good as Akron."

The final stretch gets a bit easier for the Bulls. They play the first of their final four games on Friday night against Northern Illinois (6-5-2, 0-3 MAC). In addition, Buffalo's last four games will be played at UB Stadium.

Kickoff against NIU is set for 7:30 p.m.