A true Buffalo haunting

It's October and the ghosts and goblins are officially back in Buffalo.

Whether you're looking to get the you-know-what scared out of you at haunted houses or just to have some good, old-fashioned, Halloween-themed fun, Western New York is the place to be.

For those who aren't satisfied unless they're scared out of their minds, Fright World at 3060 Sheridan Drive in Williamsville is arguably the best haunted house in the area. Consisting of five haunted houses, Fright World has something for everyone – except the faint of heart.

The $25 ticket includes one admission into each of the five houses. Additionally, a $3 off coupon can be found at any NOCO Express location or online at hauntedbuffalo.com.

Fright World opens every night at 6:30 p.m. and has full-time security to keep things safe.

For those who have had their fill of haunted houses and are looking for a change, Haunted Cave: Mysteries of the Erie Canal and the Lockport Underground put a new, slightly educational twist on the usual scare.

Participants are given a 75-minute guided mystery tour of the Erie Canal and the haunted Lockport cave for $12. It doesn't stop there, however; those who take the tour can also take part in storytelling around a campfire. At the cost of an additional $5, a 15-minute underground boat ride is also offered, which runs every half hour.

The Haunted Cave takes place through Saturday and departs from the old city hall in downtown Lockport. Be sure to make reservations in advance, as the walk tends to sell out quickly. Go to lockportcave.com for specific dates and times.

Although a bit of a hike, Nightmare Hayride on Sommerville Street in Ellicottville is well worth the drive. This venue boasts everything from a haunted maze and barn to a tractor-pulled hayride and a "cook shack" for refreshments.

Nightmare Hayride runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The cost of admission is $15.

For students who are swamped with schoolwork this Halloween, there will be a haunted house on campus. The Haunted Union is happening Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

"We will be providing a map of the Union so that students know where they can go to see decorated offices, participate in events, and get free candy," said Kerry Spicer, associate director of student unions and activities.

In addition, the Student Association's film series will be featuring Ghostbusters on Friday, with multiple showings between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. in the Student Union Theater.

"The Student Programming Board and all of the Student Life staff works tirelessly to make this one of the scariest and fun experiences for UB students, faculty and staff," Spicer said. "We give any area haunted house a run for their money…and ours is free."

If students want to give back to their community this Halloween, the Center for Student Leadership and Community Engagement is hosting its third annual Trick or Eat event from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the evening of Halloween to help raise awareness for hunger in the Western New York area.

"UB students have the chance to see and be a part of [the reason] why Buffalo is referred to as the city of good neighbors," said Terri Budek, community engagement coordinator for the Center for Student Life and Community Engagement.

Students who participate will dress up in costumes and walk streets throughout the Amherst community, asking for nonperishable food donations.

"In previous years, the number of student participants has increased from 50 the first year to 115 last year. This year we are hoping for 125-150 students. The amount of food collected has increased as well – from approximately 800 items to almost 2,000 items last year," Budek said. "This year we are hoping to collect 7,000 pounds of food for the Food Bank of Western New York. The Food Bank will then distribute the food to the food pantries in the area that have the most need for food/donations."

To register, visit http://trickoreat.catrickoreat.ca, click on the "U.S. School" link, and choose "UB."