Weezer's music comes second to having fun

Eighth album an improvement from Raditude

Artist: Weezer

Album: Hurley

Label: Epitaph Records

Release Date: September 14

Grade: B-

The album is called Hurley, and the cover picture is a close up of actor Jorge Garcia from Lost.

Weezer's eighth album is practically review proof.

This is the band's third album in as many years, and it maintains the sound of a band that no longer cares what critics or fans think. Their last three albums have been radically different, with lead singer Rivers Cuomo following his craziest impulses, no matter how silly they may seem.

Hurley is more interesting than last year's low point, Raditude. Though Raditude was somewhat fun, Cuomo's childish lyrics kept the album from holding any replay value, even though the band seemed to be having fun.

On the other hand, Hurley bursts with adrenaline. Cuomo's energy is so high that it's becoming hard to remember that this is a man who barely moved around on stage.

The lead single "Memories" is overflowing with the intensity of a band just hitting the scene. "Unspoken" is a powerful number that starts out acoustic then turns into an electric jam that catches the listener by surprise.

Weezer's lyrics make Hurley better than Raditude. "Ruling Me" and "Brave New World" prove Cuomo can still write meaningful songs that don't have to do with partying.

Unfortunately, the album is not without its silly moments. "Trainwrecks" is a song that would not sound out of place on Raditude, and the content of "Where's My Sex" doesn't need much of an explanation.

Songs like these keep Weezer from ever making an album as powerful as their earlier work. For Cuomo and company, this doesn't matter. The band sounds like it is having a great time, and on Hurley, that fun is easy on the listener's ears.

Weezer shows no signs of slowing down and is now producing music faster than at any other point in its career. Some of the songs may not cut it, but the guys have proven that, like it or not, they are here to stay.