Woods takes 13th in NCAA shot put

The University at Buffalo only had one student- athlete competing at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at the Randall Tyson Track Center at the University of Arkansas.
Sophomore thrower Kristy Woods competed in the women's shot put competition. She was among eighteen other competitors and was just the second Buffalo shot putter to compete in the NCAA National Championships.
Woods's first toss turned out to be her best of the day with a distance of 52-8.50 (16.07m) to put her in fourth-place among all first rounds attempts. In her second attempt, she had a toss of 52-0.50 (15.86m) and her third toss measured a distance of 52-4 (15.95m).
Woods placed 13th in a field of 19-throwers. The nine best throwers advance to the finals. Even though Woods's first attempt was her furthest toss, she fell 10.25 inches (26 centimeters) shy of the ninth-place thrower.
Despite failing to advance, head coach Vicki Mitchell was satisfied with how her athlete performed.
"[Throwing] coach [Jim] Garnham and I are super proud and very pleased with how well she did," Mitchell said in a press release.
The last UB shot putter to compete at the NCAA National Championships was Sarah Vance in 2007. She placed 15th overall with a toss of 49-3 (15.01m). Woods beat out that toss by more than 3.5 feet.
Mitchell was not surprised that Woods was successful this season and knew that she would handle the NCAA championships well because of her calm nature.
"Kristy's intensity and focus is amazing," Mitchell said. "She's cool under pressure."
Florida's Mariam Kevkhishvilli won the national title with a toss of 60-11.75 (18.58m).

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com