"Wax on, wax off"

Grade: B

John Travolta, who has developed a reputation for playing either cops or criminals over the past ten years, totally breaks out as a wild and reckless FBI agent in his latest movie, From Paris with Love.
Travolta (Old Dogs) hasn't played a character more cynically appealing since the 1994 cult classic Pulp Fiction. His character, Charlie Wax, is an energetic, belligerent, cocaine-driven counterterrorism agent who squeezes this otherwise formulaic movie for everything it's worth. Never mind the stupid comic book-like name – Wax makes the thriller surprisingly thrilling.
Although the film's plot is simple, it serves its purpose to push the action forward. Rookie spy James Reece (Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Shelter) who is living in Paris grows tired of the tedious, boring missions he is assigned. He gets his wish for something grander when his boss calls him to pick up one of their agents from the airport. Reece, though, doesn't know what he's in for and becomes partners with the out-of-control Charlie Wax.
Reece must follow Wax around in order to get the promotion he's after. The duo hit the streets of Paris with high-speed car chases, explosions, and more bullets than can be counted. Thrown into the mix are Chinese drug dealers, Parisian thugs, and enough coordinated carnage to give Mel Gibson a run for his money.
French filmmaking duo Pierre Morel and Luc Besson team up once again and bring yet another stylistic action romp. Director Morel and co-writer Besson always find some unique spin in a genre that is home to nothing but clichés.
From Paris with Love has a whimsical, almost satirical view on counterterrorism, Americans and violence in general, which stands out strongly with the character of Wax. Travolta's character is an odd mix of Anton Chigurh meets James Bond, frighteningly unstoppable with quick wit and a good sense of humor. It is this tone that salvages the film.
Of course, shooting people at breakneck speed isn't enough to make a movie entertaining. What makes this movie work is its love and devotion to Wax. Although Reece might technically be the main character, it is Wax that dominates the show. Travolta plays the character as if he was on a Red Bull rampage and steals the scene every time he appears.
He jumps, shoots and fights with maniacal force as if that's the only thing he knows how to do. His amusing dialogue, to the credit of Besson and co-screenwriter Adi Hasak, adds a jovial spirit to his character that makes the film worth seeing.
That's not to say that Meyers didn't do a good job playing the competent but reluctant Reece. Meyers plays the straight man to Travolta's ax and it is definitely entertaining to see the uptight Meyers react to Travolta's spy mischief. Meyers, though, gets lost in Wax's shadow and he is not able to keep up with Travolta's grandiose performance.
It's a good thing Travolta plays Wax this way, otherwise the movie would have nothing to rely on. The plot is predictable, with twists that can be seen miles away. At times, the film can't decide whether it wants to be a serious action-thriller or straight-up quirky action fun.
However, the movie is an enjoyable guilty pleasure for even those that are sick of action. The pacing is fast and the film clocks in at a lean 90 minutes, leaving few moments of boredom. In other words, there's nothing wrong with a little fun.
While From Paris With Love might just be a slightly above average action film, it does have its charming quirks that separate it from the crowd. Travolta gives an entertaining, over-the-top performance that makes this a must-see for action junkies.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com