Monday, April 29, 2024

Handling a crisis

The aftermath of a scare on campus

At 4:05 p.m. on Tuesday, the University Police Department received a call from a student in Lockwood Library, where there was a possible sighting of a man with either a rifle or shotgun hidden beneath a pea coat.
The police inspected the video and sprang into action. The library was evacuated and police sealed all entrances and exits to the building. The university alerted students through the alert system as well as eventually shutting down activity on North Campus for the night.
The police concluded the search of the building and deemed the campus safe. No injuries, no deaths – a definite success.
The police deserve to be credited with a hasty response to handle the situation. Many students have stated that such procedures took too long or that different tactics were in order.
It is uncalled for; hindsight is always 20/20.
According to Webster's Dictionary, the definition of crisis is 'a condition of instability or danger leading to a decisive change.'
There can always be improvement in handling such situations as the one this past Tuesday. For example, in the early stages of the incident, many students were still able to walk to areas in Lockwood Library, ignorant of the events taking place.
The UB alert system had sent out a text message to students that Lockwood had been evacuated. Now, the alert system is a fantastic idea in theory. But many students aren't even signed up for it. In fact, it should be mandatory.
Another issue with it is that in many of the lecture halls, there is no cell phone reception, so the alert messages can't be received. This can lead to confusion, causing students and faculty to enter the danger zone.
A more effective way to notify people here on campus should be conceived. Not every student has access to cell reception or the Internet when trekking through the halls of North Campus. Perhaps a public address system or phone system should be installed in the halls if another such incident ever arises.
Perhaps another improvement that university leaders might want to look into is a better security camera system. Grainy footage isn't acceptable. An updated system with more cameras to provide general overall security should be a priority.
There is no reason to suggest cameras covering every inch of campus. It is impossible to accomplish from a cost standpoint. However, adding cameras could aid the police in fighting crime here on campus and give the campus more security overall.
Under the current procedures for an 'incident' such as this on campus, the university and the UB police get passing grades. But that doesn't mean the plan shouldn't be looked at and improved. Resting on our laurels is a dangerous thing.
It can breed complacency. The events of Tuesday turned out to be nothing, but that doesn't mean the same will be true down the road.
The world is a crazy place. Incidents at college campuses have begun occurring more often – look at the Virginia Tech and Binghamton incidents.
Campus safety can always be improved, even by something as simple as students being more aware and looking out for one another. It was amazing to hear that large groups of students were hanging around outside of the library.
If there's a potential threat of a weapon, there is no reason that anyone is occupying the police's time by forcing them to keep students away from the building instead of searching for the suspect. It doesn't help matters.
Hopefully, an improvement from both ends of this situation will come.