Safe sex specifics

Alcohol, raging hormones and a lust to experiment are all contributions to students having sex in college.

'We are now seeing more clients choosing IUD's because they are highly effective [in preventing pregnancy] without permanent sterilization,' said Colleen Schiffhauer, Director of Patient Services of Planned Parenthood of Western New York.

Emergency contraception, or the Plan B pill, is used after sex to prevent pregnancy. It is similar to birth controls in that it releases hormones to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. Emergency contraception does not prevent or treat STD's.

The Plan B pill is free every Wednesday at Planned Parenthood stores and a coupon can also be printed from www.ppwny.com to obtain the contraception for free throughout the week.

'For girls under 17, we are more than happy to write a prescription for the emergency contraception pill,' Walker said. 'There is no need for parental permission in New York because of reproductive rights.'

Emergency contraceptive is taken up to five days after having unprotected sex.

'The sooner you take Plan B, the more effective it will be,' Walker said. 'We're giving it out for free because we want people to have it in their houses so that they can take the pill faster and so they do not have to make an appointment at the doctor or Planned Parenthood.'

According to Schiffhauer, it's important for students to have contraception on-hand to use during or after sex to protect themselves against pregnancy and STD's.

Planned Parenthood of Western New York has decided to provide free emergency contraception to its patients until Dec. 31 to further promote sexual health and safety.

Organizations on campus such as Wellness Education Services, Michael Hall and Sub-Board, Inc. Health Education can provide details on contraception and safe sex.

E-mail: fea tures@ubpsectrum.com