Raising the spirits up

UB's coaches took one for the team on Tuesday by plunging into the brisk water of a dunk tank to help kick start Spirit Week.

As a part of Spirit Week and the Homecoming Carnival, the Student Association is offering a plethora of events this week.

From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Union and extending to the Academic Spine, students could throw balls at the dunk tank, joust in a gladiator arena, ride a mechanical bull and compete at the ultimate game zone.

Some groups on campus used the event for publicity. The fraternity Sigma Chi Omega offered a catapult to jettison water balloons across the field between the Student Union and the Center for the Arts. To prepare for Saturday's homecoming game against Gardner-Webb, a fraternity member dressed as their bulldog mascot and stood at one side as a target.

'We saw this as a great opportunity for fundraising,' said Matt Grabczynski, a senior international business major and Chi Omega member.

Casey Fitzpatrick, a junior communication major and SA employee, was surprised with the amount of club participation this year.

'When the clubs had the sign up sheets on their doors, it was literally overflowing with response,' Fitzpatrick said.

Several students that were passing through the area were surprised by the various events taking place.

'It's awesome to find free entertainment in the Student Union,' said Corey O'Brien, a freshman pharmacy major. 'I especially liked the gladiator stand.'

The festivities continue throughout the week, with events such as rock climbing, a car smash and a club fair showcasing SA's various clubs. Spirit Week will culminate with the Homecoming game and the judging of Homecoming king and queen on Saturday.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com