Monsters gone wild

Grade: A-

Spike Jonze has taken a picture book that included only a handful of lines, and created a beautiful coming-of-age tale.

Where The Wild Things Are offers more to think about than most children's affairs. The greatest strength of Jonze's film is that it never gives in to clichés. It is a strikingly emotional portrayal of what it feels like to be a kid.

That is not to say children won't marvel at the film. The way that the wild things have been designed is strikingly beautiful, as is the world that they occupy.

Jonze's decision to use a mixture of CGI and animatronic suits to create the wild things allows the characters to appear more like the creation of an imaginative kid than the work of a computer.

Max Records (The Brothers Bloom) is magnificent in his first starring role. Max is a child going through a rough time, and Records is able to channel all of the emotions necessary to make the character seem genuine.

The movie gives very little back story before Max journeys to the land of the wild things – there is only enough so that the audience understands why Max has wandered away from home. Jonze is confident enough in his film to not shove an unnecessary back story down the audiences' throat.

Catherine Keener (The Soloist), a frequent Jonze collaborator, is excellent in the few scenes that she is given. Although she is only on screen a handful of times, her relationship with Max is firmly established.

The wild things themselves have distinct personalities. They become so relatable that they feel like humans as they reveal themselves through their interactions with Max.

It is a mystery how James Gandolfini (The Taking of Pelham 123) was cast as Carol, the wild thing given the most screen time. What is even more surprising is that he is a perfect fit for the role. His voice lends itself beautifully to Carol's childlike enthusiasm.

Carol grows just as much as Max in the film, and their relationship is heartwarming.

A fight between Max and Carol is one of the most emotional scenes of the year so far, and it happens in a movie about monsters.

Forest Whitaker (Powder Blue), Catherine O'Hara (Away We Go) and Paul Dano (Taking Woodstock), all contribute their voice talents to the wild things.

Max and the wild things go on adventures that are not tied together by a plot in the traditional sense. The lack of an ongoing plot might be off-putting to some viewers, but in the end the film feels whole.

Max's time with the wild things is filled with joy and sadness. The film could have used a few more scenes that showcase the pure fun that Max has with the wild things. The world Jonze has created is so beautiful that it deserves a bit of time to just be enjoyed.

Still, Jonze is largely successful in his attempt to convey the emotion of a child that feels abandoned by his family.

Karen O, lead singer of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, wrote the music for the film. Her soundtrack is filled with enthusiasm and blends in wonderfully with Max's escapades.

In a time when it seems Pixar is the only company that can make excellent family films, it is exciting to see Warner Bros. take a chance on Jonze's vision. Due to the dark nature of the film, it sometimes feels more about kids than for kids, although its heart is in the right place.

This is the kind of film where everything blends together perfectly, down to the very last detail.

The children who watch it might not realize it yet, but Where The Wild Things is an instant family classic, and will only get better as they get older.