Silent leader on the mat

For some athletes, it may be hard to balance out their schoolwork and their athletics during their tenure at Buffalo. According to sophomore wrestler Kevin Smith, he can handle both very well.

???This season, despite missing the last three meets, Smith has boasted a 27-6 record while maintaining an above-average GPA. Smith has received a lot of praise from the Mid-American Conference (MAC) because of his work ethic both on and off the mat.

???"He won MAC student athlete of the week on Jan. 23," said wrestling head coach Jim Beichner. "You're talking about 12,000 athletes that he beat out to win that award. He also maintains around a 3.6 to 3.7 GPA in physical therapy, which is very difficult to do without the commitment of being an athlete."

???This success is nothing new for Smith, who has never been phased by the task of balancing academics and athletics. What is even more impressive is how easy the transition from high school to college life has been for Smith.

???"[The adaption between high school and college] has been easy for me I think, because I had a good work ethic in high school," Smith said. "I have always been good at balancing my work load between school and wrestling."

???Buffalo was not the only school to notice this. Smith was eyed by multiple schools, ultimately choosing Buffalo because he wanted to remain in New York State.

???Smith never got a chance to really prove himself in his first year of competition. He injured himself in the beginning of the season, missing more than two-thirds of his matches. This made him eligible to become a medical redshirt. For Smith, it was an opportunity to train harder, longer and more intensely for his sophomore year.

???"I am going to try and get bigger for [the 133-pound weight class], but I don't anticipate going up to [141 pounds]," Smith said. "I stayed here over the summer and worked out everyday and got in great shape going into this preseason."

???The results from his offseason workouts have really made an impact on Smith's season. For him, this weekend's match against Northern Illinois is vital to see if he is ready for the MAC Championships. If he does well there, he would then be on his way to compete in the NCAA Championships.

???"My goal is obviously to win [the MAC Championship]," Smith said. "Realistic goals would be taking top four, which would then qualify me for the national tournament."

???Beichner believes that Smith can easily attain his goals. He is well aware of the competition that Smith will be up against at the conference championships, but feels he can persevere and wrestle at nationals.

???"[133 pounds] is our deepest, toughest and best weight class in the MAC," Beichner said. "This weekend, the match against NIU will decide whether or not he is in that top four. What we care about most is getting in to the NCAA championship. He needs that experience and he is capable of doing that."

???Smith's teammates are well aware that he is a substantial wrestler, but he is not one to flaunt his abilities and brag about himself. Rather than generate attention with words, Smith hopes that what he leaves on the mat will lead by example.

???"Kevin is a quiet leader," Beichner said. "He would rather be a quiet leader doing everything right, then a loud leader doing things wrong."

???