Conference win comes just in time

Serendipity happens in such strange ways.

With the Bulls playing their two final home games of the season, the team wanted to avoid being swept like has occurred in previous Mid-American Conference matches.

After a speed bump, the Bulls became the sweepers.

On Friday, the Bulls (6-20, 1-11 MAC) hosted the Ohio Bobcats (15-7, 8-3 MAC), hoping to earn their first conference victory. The match was not their opportunity, with the Bulls losing in five games, 13-25, 25-23, 25-22, 10-25, 16-18.

Sophomore outside hitter Richelle Bigellow, sophomore middle blocker Kristin Bignell and sophomore outside hitter Marisa Hornbaker each earned double figures on the night. Hornbaker each had 11 kills while junior outside hitter Maria Mezzadri had nine kills. Senior outside hitter Claudia Neba had seven kills and one error, earning a team-best .429 hitting mark.

On Saturday, the Bulls battled Kent State (13-12, 3-9 MAC) in search for their first MAC win. The Bulls swept the Golden Flashes in three games, allowing fewer points to the Golden Flashes in each set, 26-24, 25-20 and 25-17. Bigelow led the team with 13 kills while sophomore setter Lindsey Schlegel toppled the team with 39 sets. Head coach Jim Lodes really noticed the difference in game play and overall development.

"I am proud of our kids, with our injuries and ever-changing lineup, we have persevered," he said. "Maturity and system volleyball improved; we practiced for the quick Kent State offense, settled in very well, and neutralized their speed."

For Neba and senior outside hitter Kate Love, it was their final home game as Bulls.

Neba thanks her coach and her teammates for finally earning a much-needed conference win.

"Coach Lodes is big on working hard and he never gave up on us," Neba said. "I was so happy the team came together. We showed we were a good team."

Lodes also tipped his hat to his seniors, complimenting them on adding a new essence of "team" to the squad.

"Both came in as sophomores and both really changed the culture of the team," Lodes said. "Both stressed a team first attitude."

With three more matches left in the regular season, Lodes feels that it is very important that the Bulls carry this "team first" attitude with them. He says that the team proved over this weekend that the ability is there, it is just a matter of whether or not they can bring it together in crunch time.

Lodes feels that come tournament time, every team is 0-0. He says it's a new season and his team could surprise many who underestimate them.

"To go five with a [Ohio], it is awesome," Lodes said. "If we play with the same discipline we did against them, we have the potential to be dangerous in the tournament."

The Bulls travel to Ohio for their final for matches of the regular season. This upcoming weekend, the Bulls take on Akron (9-14, 3-9 MAC) and Toledo (11-14, 3-9 MAC). The following weekend, the team heads back to the Buckeye State to end their season against Bowling Green (20-7, 9-3 MAC) and Miami (OH) (15-9, 9-3 MAC).