Bulls lose 10th straight match

Over the weekend, the volleyball team hosted their "Dig for a Cure" event, which raised $3,300 for breast cancer research. While their fundraising skills were honorable, they failed to defeat their first Mid-American Conference (MAC) opponent this year.

On Friday night, the Bulls (5-19, 0-10 MAC) hosted Central Michigan (14-8, 8-2 MAC) in a match where the blue and white never found their rhythm. The Chippewas took control, sweeping the Bulls in three games, 25-15, 25-11, 25-17. Central Michigan hit .390 for the match while the Bulls only hit .078.

While the Bulls never broke the 20-point mark in each of the three games, head coach Jim Lodes felt that senior middle blocker Kate Love did what she could to keep her team close.

"Love led us with six kills and offensively had a big match for us," he said.

In addition to the help from Love, sophomore middle blocker Kristin Bignell had four kills and a service ace on the night. Sophomore outside hitter Marisa Hornbaker contributed seven digs while sophomore setter Lindsey Schlegel had 17 assists, ending the match with three kills and three digs.

On Saturday night, the Bulls, backed by breast cancer awareness supporters, looked to defeat Eastern Michigan (9-16, 3-7 MAC) for their first MAC win of the year. In front of one of the biggest crowds of the year, the Bulls fell to the Eagles in three games, 25-22, 25-23, 25-17.

Bignell had a team-high 10 kills and two blocks while Schlegel contributed with seven kills, 23 assists and seven digs for the Bulls.

In addition, Hornbaker had 10 digs on the night. Junior libero/setter Lauren Fensten had a team-high 13 digs, while Hornbaker also had 10 digs on the night. Sophomore outside hitter Jenna Gabello added two service aces for the Bulls.

To Lodes, one reason that the Bulls are struggling to win is due to injuries. Key players have been out for a substantial amount of time, causing Buffalo to fight through the adversity.

"I like the way we keep fighting," Lodes said. "We keep playing well despite all our injuries. [Junior middle blocker] Kelsey Lueders has been out since the first weekend. This is the third weekend we have been without [sophomore middle blocker] Kayla Govier and [sophomore outside hitter] Richelle Bigelow did not play in Friday's match against Eastern Michigan."

While he is not using the injuries as an excuse, Lodes understands that the Bulls can still improve while they wait for their starters to heal.

"The replacements are doing as best they can, but we need to execute a little better," he said. "When we mix things up, we do well."

In their next match, Lodes and the Bulls look to upset MAC powerhouse Ohio in the Alumni Arena. The game takes place this Friday at 7 p.m.