Bulls show split personality at Ramada Invitational

Hoping to best their win record from the 2007 season, the Bulls planned on using home-court advantage to their benefit. Buffalo hosted the Ramada Invitational over the weekend and accomplished that feat.

On Friday, the Bulls (3-7) were victorious against the Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks (4-5) in four games, 25-19, 26-24, 19-25, 25-18. Sophomore setter Lindsey Schlegel led the Bulls offense with a career-best 54 assists, while junior outside hitter Dani Slivers had 14 kills, her best performance in a Buffalo uniform. The victory gave Buffalo their third victory, matching their win total from all of last year.

The Bulls participated in a double-header on Saturday, with an early-morning match against the Butler Bulldogs (10-1). The Bulldogs, the eventual tournament champions, bested Buffalo in four games, 22-25, 25-21, 25-17, 25-19. Senior outside hitter Claudia Neba posted 10 digs and 10 kills. Schlegel earned 36 assists and 100 digs.

Later that evening, the Bulls, hoping to earn another win, fought the Black Bears of Maine (5-5). When all was said and done, the Bulls lost against the Black Bears in four games, 25-14, 25-20, 15-25, 25-22. Sophomore outside hitter Richelle Bigelow and Slivers both had double-digit kills, Bigelow recording 11 and Slivers earning 10.

Sophomore Kristin Bignell was named to the all-tournament team for the third straight tournament this season.

While the tournament's outcome might seem like a disappointment, Bulls head coach Jim Lodes is looking at this tournament with the mentality that his team is getting more and more prepared to start conference play.

"They show that they are capable of playing with pretty much anybody," Lodes said. "Obviously, for us we want to compete well in the [Mid-American Conference]. It's time to not be near the bottom, and we are going to fight like heck to be ready."

As the Bulls get ready for conference play, Lodes realizes that there are some things that need to be worked on. He believes that the biggest problem is ending the game with the same intensity that the team started with.

"We need to stay consistent with our energy level," Lodes said. "I really like this team. They are doing the skills for two thirds of the match, and sometimes we're not getting into crunch time. That's our next thing, finishing the job."

Lodes pointed out many great aspects of his team's game play, especially from the play of Slivers.

"[Slivers] on the outside at times can be so dynamic and obviously now we are asking her to be that player consistently because she can do it," Lodes said. "Now, we want her to play at that level ninety percent of the time instead of maybe sixty percent of the time."

While Slivers's play is not the only aspect that's been a positive, Lodes feels that the stunning play during the tournament by underclassmen is really showing signs of what could be a brilliant year for the Bulls.

"Our middles played fantastic," Lodes said. "[Bignell] had a great tournament and she deserves every award she's given. [Schlegel] is doing a great job getting people the ball even though at times we are out of system."

On Tuesday, the Bulls will visit Niagara to play the Purple Eagles. Game time is 7 p.m.