Former chair of American Studies John C. Mohawk dies

John C. Mohawk, associate professor of American studies, passed away Dec. 10 at the age of 61. American Studies Chair Donald Grinde cited apnea as the cause of death.

Known as a "Native American activist on and off campus" by his peers, Mohawk co-founded the Native American studies program at UB, known today as the Department of American Studies. He served as chairman for the department from 2002 to 2003.

"Professor Mohawk was very attentive to the needs of undergraduate and graduate students," Grinde said. "Everyone enjoyed his sense of humor.

Mohawk, known as an advocate for peace and a dedicated educator of American studies on local, national and international scales, has authored numerous books on Native Americans and indigenous groups.

An active member of the Turtle Clan and the Seneca Nation's Salamanca Lease Committee, Mohawk also aided in the resolution that yielded the 1988 Salamanca Settlement Act.

"His national and international work on indigenous people was outstanding," Grinde said.

A senior Native American specialist is being sought to take Mohawk's place, according to Grinde.

A committee has been established to hold a memorial for Mohawk, which is expected to take place in March or April, Grinde added. Details on the service will be disclosed at a later date.