Governors smoke out

Students in the Governors Complex were inconvenienced early Thursday morning an anonymous act of mischief smoked them out of bed.

The residence halls are now offering a $1000 reward for any information leading to the arrest or conviction of the person(s) responsible for setting off a smoke bomb, according to University Chief of Police Gerald Schoenle.

Investigators are also looking into an incident in which a fire was started in a trashcan that same day, Schoenle said.

"Our investigators are looking into it. Someone was seen leaving after the smoke bomb went off," Schoenle said. "We don't have a lot of information about it yet."

Joe Krakowiak, director of University Residence Halls and Apartments, was unavailable for comment for this story.

While Schoenle said that students were not required to evacuate during the incident, residents were inconvenienced with two fire alarms early Thursday morning.

Karyn Bimber, a freshman pharmacy major, said that someone threw a smoke bomb into the lounge of Roosevelt Hall, causing a fire alarm to go off at about 2:30 a.m.

"The fire alarm went off, but my friend and I went to Denny's instead of waiting out in the cold," Bimber said. "When we got back, there were still people standing outside."

Bimber said she found out later that there was another alarm set off by a fire in Lehman Hall.

According to Gary Yip, a sophomore undecided major, the fire was a result of a smoke bomb thrown into a garbage can in a bathroom, setting off the sprinkler system.

"There was so much water, it flooded out of the bathroom and into the halls and rooms," Yip said. "Water on the second floor leaked down onto the first floor, especially the lounge."

Yip said he knew of students who had textbooks left on the floor that were damaged by the water.

It is unclear whether any damage was caused to the buildings, according to Schoenle.

Outraged students are voicing their opinions on the Facebook group "Lynch the Anonymous Governor's Smoke Bomber," which had over 75 members as of press time.