"The Sharpest Point: Alex Rodriguez, the New York Yankees and the MLB"

The biggest story of this year has been the trade of Alex Rodriguez to the Yankees. With A-Rod at third base and Derek Jeter at short, the Yankees have what - on paper - is probably the best left-side of any infield ever.

Everyone has different opinions as to how the Bronx Bombers and A-Rod will fare this season, including this week's Sharpest Point competitors, arts editor "Metal" Mike Flatt and managing editor George "Scorenick" Zornick.

They will be judged on a scale of 1-10 in three categories: Strength of argument, factual evidence and style. The winner advances to the second round, which will take place in three weeks.

Without further adieu, what will A-Rod's impact be individually, team-wise and for the greater whole of Major League Baseball?

George Zornick (Managing Editor): Some people liken the arrival of Alex Rodriguez in New York - instead of Boston - as a kick in the collective chops of Beantown on the same scale as the Babe Ruth transaction. They're wrong, and Bostonians shouldn't be too upset - the A-Rod deal will not work out well for the Yankees, Rodriguez or Major League Baseball.

The deal would be great for the Yanks if they didn't already have a superstar shortstop, but they do - and he is not happy. He has been very "catty" about the trade, according to several sports reporters, because he sees his job as being in jeopardy. This will affect his play and team chemistry, since he's the captain.

A-Rod won't have a cakewalk in his new job either. He is going to be in the national spotlight at a position relatively new to him. His play may be affected.

As soon as A-Rod starts stuttering at third - or when Jeter does the same - there will be immense pressure to rearrange the lineup. It will damage the team this year, and even more so next year, when a new coach will likely be in the dugout.

That's not to say A-Rod will play poorly and that the Yanks will lose. They may match last year's record, or even better - but they won't dominate due to these chemistry issues. A-Rod will do fine - which for him is great - but that's all. This deal can only be good for the Yanks in the short term, at best.

Finally, it goes without saying the trade is awful for baseball and professional sports in general. On an even playing field, teams can compete with talent rather than cash - an ideal situation the A-Rod trade endangers from becoming a reality.

Mike Flatt (Arts and Life Editor): The New York Yankees outright purchase of their entire franchise, as well as every title they've won in the last eight years has been the most frustrating long-term event to watch since the Bills quadruple Super Bowl defeat.

However, that does not mean they should be stopped from spending the money they've earned in creating what may be the biggest fan-base in professional sports. Were I a Yankees fan, I would be ecstatic with the recent buy-out of Alex Rodriguez' contract from the Texas Rangers.

Even though the deal only came about because of Aaron Boone's injury in a game of pick-up basketball, it's the best thing the Yankees have done for themselves in a very long time. Let's also not forget that Rodriguez' acquisition will leave a bitter taste in the mouths of Boston Red Sox fans who were foaming from said mouths at the prospect of having the best right-handed hitter in the American League playing in Fenway with the Green Monster.

While he would have especially thrived at Fenway, I have a feeling he might not be too shabby in Yankee Stadium, either, even if he will have to give up his number (Babe Ruth's retired number three) to do it.

After hitting an average of 52 homers in the last three years, he is at the peak of his career. He's done well playing with the then-competitive Seattle Mariners and even better with no one protecting him in the Rangers lineup. There's no reason he shouldn't solidify a Hall of Fame career while with the Yankees.

JN: Future contestants: I'm begging you, someone throw in a joke here or there, I promise it will win you points. With that said, I award each player four points for their style. Solid writing, but I'm not laughing, so you get low pointage.

Then there's the strength of argument. Both make good points, and I'm going to go with an 8-6 decision in favor of Zornickulous.

Then with factual evidence I'm going to go with Flatt by a score of 7-5, because he had actual stats and realized that all of the protection in the Yank's lineup will help A-Rod flourish.

JB: Like Norma said, the style was lacking, but I'll give Zornick the 6-5 edge just because he used the word "catty." I like that word. Sort of like how I enjoy the word "smock." Can't explain it really, I just like 'em.

Anyway, I think the Zornickulous One's assertion that chemistry will be an issue is dead on. The safe bet is that Jeter gets traded within a year for an ace that doesn't reek of phermaldahyde.

Zornick takes strength of argument 7-5. Flatt rebounds with his statistical evidence, taking Zornick 7-5.

Final Score: George "Scorenick" Zornick 35, "Metal" Mike Flatt 34