Hollie Cook Suspended Indefinitely

Hollie Cook, a sophomore guard and fan favorite for the Buffalo Bulls women's basketball team, will not be seen on court again this semester - or possibly ever again - after being suspended indefinitely by head coach Cheryl Dozier.

"There was a lack of focus on the academic side of things," said Dozier. "She really needs to have an understanding of how committed you need to be at this institution, and until she can show me that she is committed to that side of it, she will no longer be with our basketball team."

Tahcahrah Owens, a first-year junior forward with the Bulls, was also declared academically ineligible, but unlike Cook, was not suspended indefinitely. The last athlete to be suspended indefinitely at UB was the football team's Kevin Concepcion, who was arrested after a third degree rape charge in 2003.

"Tahcahrah was in her first semester at our university, and she was a pharmacy major who has shown a lot of commitment to me to try and get her grades to where she needs to be," said Dozier. "The difference (between the suspension for Cook and ineligibility for Owens) is that it has been three consecutive semesters that I have had to deal with ... well not three consecutive, but almost a third strike. This is Tahcahrah's first bout with it and that is why the situation is different."

As for a return to the court for Cook, it remains up to her and her ability to get things done in the classroom.

"You won't see her return at all this year," said Dozier. "She has some expectations and guidelines that she has to get completed this semester, and if she chooses not to get those things take care of, she will not be with our program next year."

Cook could not be reached for comment.