Women's Soccer: Tragedy Becomes Inspiration

Falcons Soar in Time of Mourning

On Wednesday afternoon, words could not describe the emotion that was felt at Cochrane Field during the women's soccer quarterfinal game between the Bowling Green Falcons and UB Bulls.

But one word can sum up the Falcon's performance - inspirational.

Bowling Green, playing one day after freshman teammate Leslie Dawley collapsed on that very same field and later passed away, defeated UB 2-1 in double overtime on a penalty kick goal by Julie Trundle.

"It is so heartwarming to see our team give a performance like this," said BGSU Head Coach Andy Richards. "It warms your soul. These kids played out of their skin to honor the memory of Leslie Dawley.

"For these girls to produce a performance like they did is beyond amazing. We often talk about adversity and overcoming adversity in terms of wins and losses. But this is true adversity. This is adversity in life, and I have been so impressed by each and every one of these players."

"The game was really meaningless to the majority," said UB Head Coach Jean-A. Tassy. "They played the game because the parents of (Dawley) felt like that's what they needed to do to honor her.

"We ourselves were in a difficult position. We were in a no-win situation. We go out there, and we play, and we beat them solidly, then we're being insensitive. Once they established the fact that we were going to compete, we needed to come out and compete, and I think that was kind of tough."

"To me it almost felt like we shouldn't have been playing," Buffalo junior Erin McGarry said. "It kind of felt wrong but I understand that her parents had wanted the game to go on, and that I respected."

A controversial call by referee Matt Bole gave the Falcons a chance to win the game on Trundle's penalty kick. Buffalo's Devon Russell was called for a questionable foul inside the penalty area and was given a yellow card. Trundle's kick got past UB goalkeeper Anna-Lesa Calvert for a thrilling BGSU sudden-death victory. It was her fifth goal of the season.

"The decision was not made by the team but by the referee, by the call," Tassy said. "That's something that he is going to have to live with. It was such a questionable call because it tainted the whole (game). The opposing coaching staff realized that was a nothing foul for him to call a penalty kick."

Buffalo's Natalia Crofut opened the scoring 56:51 into the game, giving UB a 1-0 lead on her fifth goal of the season. Kristy Coppes, however, tied the game for the Falcons at 62:17. Coppes' goal was assisted by Samantha Meister and was her 12th of the year.

The Bulls out-shot Bowling Green 17-9. Falcons' goalkeeper Erika Flanders made seven saves. Calvert made five saves for Buffalo.

Bowling Green will play at Miami (Ohio) today in the MAC semifinals.

News / Notes

The Falcons wore black uniforms as opposed to their home whites in mourning for their fallen teammate ... About 700 fans were in attendance for the game. They wore yellow ribbons in memory of Dawley ... UB players each gave the Falcons a yellow rose, which BGSU left at midfield after the game.