Bulls Pen

The State of the Bulls Address

If you're reading this right now, then you probably know something about the Buffalo Bulls football team already.

They are not very good. In fact, you might call them terrible.

Everyone you talk to, and almost everything you read, will further support that statement. The Bulls' record is 1-9 and that's about all you need to know about the UB football team this season. They just aren't very good.

But, and that's a VERY big but, this team is so incredibly young it's ridiculous. You can ask any coach, nine starting freshmen and three sophomore starters certainly does not equate to a lot of wins. Do people actually expect these kids to come out and defeat bigger, older and stronger opponents? Winning was going to be a tall order this year for these kids, especially in an extremely competitive conference like the MAC.

People need to stand back and take a look at the positives that this team is putting out. Sure they get blown out in a lot of games, but they NEVER give up. You might even relate them to the Buffalo Bills team of last year. A lot of youth and a lot of losses, but a heck of a lot of fight in every game no matter who the opponent was.

And look at the Bills now, back in the mix.

I'm not saying that you should expect a breakout season next year, but this team will no doubt be solid and competitive in three or four years.

It makes me wish I was a freshman again so I could see the coming of age for the UB football program.

What's discouraging is the amount of people that just rip on this team mercilessly. It may be fun to make fun of a team when they are down, but you have to realize that with every down there is an up.

A word to the wise, or not-so-wise as the case may be. If you don't know what you're talking about, then keep your mouth shut. Don't make uneducated statements about the Bulls, because it's hurtful to the university and those who do enjoy the team, that is the few who do realize this team is headed in the right direction.

That especially goes for you, Mr. Bucky Gleason of The Buffalo News.

The News ran an article by Gleason on Sunday that blasted the UB football team, as well as everyone associated with it, to the Galapagos Islands and back.

Now don't get me wrong here, the Bulls are NOT a good team right now. There is no way to sugarcoat that. But the disturbing thing is that this was the first time all season that Gleason showed up for a Bulls game, so who is he to come out of nowhere and tell UB what should've happened? His knives were sharpened beforehand, and he knew his column victim would be the Buffalo Bulls football program regardless of what happened on the field that day.

He talked in his article like the Golden Knights-Bulls game this Saturday was like a Texans-Bengals game in the NFL.

"Central Florida is anything but a powerhouse, but it seemed the Golden Knights were toying with the Bulls before getting serious and turning a seven-point deficit into a 24-point blowout."

Hello Bucky, this is a team that lost to Penn State by three points and had a chance to defeat Marshall before an unfortunate interception late in the game.

I honestly don't know what Gleason was watching. Was he watching a game in which the Bulls were competitive for a majority of the game, or was he too busy thinking about how he could tear them apart in his article, something that has become very clich?(c) in The Buffalo News?

The Bulls may have fallen apart at the end, but there is something that is expected of a young, inexperienced team: mistakes.

"Yes, you can say this season hasn't exactly been a public-relations dream. Last week, they were greeted with another nightmare. School officials already heard enough about students running wild in the University Heights district, but along came 20-year-old redshirt freshman receiver Tim Dance, who was charged with felony assault after allegedly cutting a man's face with a glass during a barroom brawl."

Wow Bucky, have you ever heard of something called innocent until proven guilty? Of course Gleason also neglected to include that the "victim" never even showed up for the court date, which makes a statement about how important this incident was to the "victim."

But of course Gleason would rather dirty a 20-year-old kid's name even before a ruling was made, just to make his point. He tore apart the rest of the team too, so why not leave out Dance? Gleason had to have been licking his chops when he saw the police blotter.

How come Gleason doesn't talk about the potential of Aaron Leeper, the freshman running back that has been tearing it up on the field? Leeper has 810 yards on the season, along with a freshman-record nine touchdowns. This kid is a stud and is the foundation of this team, but of course Gleason neglects to mention his name, instead focusing on first year quarterback Randall Secky.

"UB quarterback Randall Secky has been trying to overcome growing pains and hasn't convinced anyone he's a Division I passer. He dinked and dunked his way to 102 yards on 14 completions Saturday. He also threw a ridiculous pass across his body into double coverage, with the game tied, that Peter Sands returned 50 yards to set up a touchdown."

Sure, jump on Secky. But what do you know? Were you there when he picked apart the Rutgers defense to the tune of 201 yards and three touchdowns on the way to victory? Of course not, but you do know he has struggled at times. And of course you don't mention that with the exception of Andre Forde, his receiving corps has performed well below average.

And that brings us to the only question mark about the future of this team, the receiving corps. Forde and tight end Chad Bartoszek will be gone after the season and that could scare Head Coach Jim Hofher. But if he continues to recruit as well as he has so far and Dance plays like he did against Kent State, a game in which he had nine catches and two touchdowns in his only significant action of the year, then I'm sure things will pan out.

Hofher knows what he's doing; he is the definition of a good football coach. This guy is the real deal. You can just sense it when you're around him. When you hear him talk you get the impression of a man with a plan. He is building something here. All of the football players know it, the Spectrum Sports staff knows it, the higher powers at UB know it, and even Generation knows it for the love of God. In three to four years, this team will be legit, and Hofher will be leading the charge.

"Athletics Director Bob Arkeilpane has delivered nothing but ringing endorsements for coach Jim Hofher over the last two years. The prevailing opinion around campus is that Hofher is an excellent coach, perfect for the struggling program. If thats the case, it's time to start the clock."

Bucky ... just shut up already please.