Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Ultimate Frisbee

UB's Green Eggs and Ham

Say what? Now I know that most of you have no idea that we had an ultimate Frisbee team and that some of you may not even know what ultimate Frisbee is. But nevertheless, this team does exist and, unlike many other sports here at UB, it is open to guys as well as girls. But don't think for one minute that this sport is a joke, because to the players and fans of ultimate Frisbee, it is as real as it gets.

"I think ultimate is an exciting sport for both spectators and players. For players it presents the opportunity to become involved in a competitive game that you don't need to have grown up playing to be an asset to your team," said assistant captain Dave Reynolds.

The past weekend saw the UB Green Eggs and Ham ultimate Frisbee team in action at Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, Penn. They faced off against legitimate foes in Drexel, Vassar, Susquehanna, Gettysburg, Shippensburg, Western Maryland and Bucknell.

The first day of the competition the team went 2-2 overall, defeating Gettysburg and Shippensburg, 13-9 and 13-8, respectively. They fell to Vassar by a score of 13-8 and were also defeated by Drexel 13-6. On day two the Green Eggs and Ham found themselves pitted in a rematch against Drexel. They fought until the end, but were eventually upended by a score of 13-10.

"The rematch against Drexel was really encouraging, as we played much harder and really came close to winning that game. At one point the score was tied at 10 and it looked like we could finally pull away and win, but it just didn't quite come together," said Reynolds.

Although the level of competition at the tournament was a high one, UB still thought that they could have done some more damage and won some more games.

Up next for the Green Eggs and Ham are the sectionals, which will be held on April 20 and 21.

"I think that if we bring the same kind of energy that we ended with on Sunday (in the second game against Drexel) to the sectionals, we stand a very good chance of finishing well enough to advance to the regionals," said Reynolds.

If you want to check out more about the team, go to their official website at http://wings.buffalo.edu/sa/frisbee/index.html, and take a look.

"For spectators, it's a fast-paced game with some amazing athleticism and is just a joy to be around. We generally only have one tournament in the Buffalo area each year, but we love any spectators we can get, wherever they may be. Fans are few and between in ultimate, so we love the ones we can get," said Reynolds.