Flickerstick's Texas light shines at the Tralf

Technicolor lights flashed across the stage and along the backdrop as "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory softly played in the background. The majority of the crowd was crammed around the stage with screams and whistles coming from every angle. Once the music stopped, the crowd roared as Flickerstick took the stage.

Flickerstick started their set immediately, bouncing around on stage and having a great time working the crowd at the Tralf last week. This is the second time within just a few months that the Dallas/Fort Worth band has traveled to Buffalo. After the two openers, the Tuesday night crowd was pumped for the high-energy show.

Brandin Lea is the frontman of Flickerstick, taking lead vocals and guitar. His brother, Fletcher, plays bass. Cory Kreig and Rex James Ewing both cover guitars and Kreig jumps in on vocals and keyboard as well. The veteran, Dominic Weir, backs them up on drums.

Their passionate attitude, emotional rock, outrageous lyrics and song titles attract quite the crowd, which was treated to songs off Flickerstick's Welcoming Home the Astronauts, released in 2000.

The set list included "Chloroform, the One you Love," "Execution by Christmas Lights," "Coke" and their most popular single "Beautiful." "Execution by Christmas Lights" was also performed solo by Brandin halfway through the set.

During "Beautiful," the whole crowd could either be seen singing along or jumping up and down to the music. The vibe of the show put the crowd on an amazing high and the band held their interest throughout. With the last song of their set, Ewing jumped offstage and took a tour of the place with his guitar.

"Awesome," was the only comment made by Rob Bilson, from local band Seven Day Faith.

Becky Badawy, a 16-year-old fan, was most impressed by the bass line. Her friend, Jennifer Trawinski, also 16, said they "performed very well."

The band got together in 1997 and added Ewing two years after to allow Brandin more freedom as a frontman.

The story of how the band made it big is an interesting one. VH1 producers for a rock 'n' roll siblings show approached the Lea brothers. The show never played on the air, but the guys were remembered for the "Bands on the Run" show.

The premise of the show was that four unsigned bands were battling for $50,000 cash, $100,000 in Guitar Center merchandise, an artists and repertoire showcase, and a video that VH1 would spin frequently. They were taped throughout the country for eight weeks and the way to win was by selling merchandise, having the highest ticket sales and winning Battle of the Bands segments.

VH1 executives did not expect the band in last place with merchandise and ticket sales would win the competition overall, but Flickerstick did just that.

"To us, the music was more important than selling merchandise," Lea said.

Even though their sales were always at the bottom, the band would wow the crowd and win the Battle of the Bands. As long as they won over fan support, VH1 executives let them stay on the show.

"The show was very interesting and much different than we thought it would be, but turned out to be our big chance," said Brandin.

Before all the hysteria of Flickerstick, Ruby Horse and Abandoned Pools got an opportunity to share their music. Ruby Horse was pure rock and roll from Ireland. After the second song, Ruby Horse lead singer Dave Farrell said, "I knew there was more to Buffalo than chicken wings."

The crowd gave Ruby Horse a positive response and pumped up Farrell into a lively performer. Abandoned Pools' music was more mellow modern rock. Their set got the crowd moving and led people up to the front of the stage.

The whole show was wild and filled with many great moments. Flickerstick's new single, "Coke" will hit airways on March 19. They are currently on tour with Epic Records and hope to start work on a new CD at the end of the summer.