"Women's Swim Downs Akron, Falls to Ohio"

Coming off a win last weekend in their opener against Siena College, the UB women's swim team split two meets Saturday afternoon at Alumni Arena. The Bulls (2-1, 1-1 MAC) defeated Akron University 159.50-82.50, then lost to defending MAC champion Ohio University 137-106.

The triple meet took place at UB's Alumni Arena, and gave the Bulls a record of 2-1 overall, 1-1 in MAC competition.

UB freshman Jennifer Brankovsky won two huge events, taking the 200-meter individual medley (2:07.44) and the 200-meter breaststroke (2:27.75). Brankovsky won the two races for the second week in a row, improving her time in each.

UB divers Tracy Hoover and Kim LaHaye took first and second place in the one-meter diving competition. Hoover tallied 247.55 points and LaHaye finished with 237.70. In the three-meter competition, LaHaye and Hoover finished second and third behind Akron's Kathleen Christian.

"I entered the one-meter competition with confidence," Hoover said. "On a whole, our team was happy with our results, keeping it close and competitive against the defending champs, Ohio."

In the 200-meter medley relay, UB's squad of Lisa Boettrich, Tiffany Woods, Carrie Quinian, and Abby Delia finished first (1:48.16) in the most exciting race of the day. Ohio came in second, just three-hundredths of a second behind Buffalo.

In the other match of the day, Ohio beat Akron 175-68. The Ohio Bobcats are now 2-0 in the MAC and 4-0 overall.

The women's swim team will take their act on the road Friday in a dual meet at St. Bonaventure.