"Volleyball Swept by Eastern Michigan, Loses Heartbreaker to Marshall"

This weekend, the UB women's volleyball team was home for two MAC matches against the Eagles of Eastern Michigan University and the Marshall University Thundering Herd.

After completing the two matches, the Bulls remain winless in MAC conference play with a 0-14 record (5-29 overall).

Despite the weekend losses, there were still a few bright spots and personal milestones reached, which the beleaguered team could look to for inspiration.

After the Marshall game, senior setter Larissa LaCour had amassed 839 assists for the season and 2,211 for her career. LaCour passed Cheryl Glose (1986-1989, 2,174 career assists) and settled into fourth place on the school's all-time list.

The match versus Eastern Michigan was won convincingly by the Eagles in three games with the scores of 30-20, 30-16 and 30-11. The squad from Eastern Michigan out hit the UB squad, posting a .340 average to Buffalo's meager .041.

The Bulls weren't able to dish out much offense against the stronger EMU team. Sophomore Becky Ashare posted seven kills and LaCour ended the night with 24 assists.

Senior Heather Barfuss and sophomore Lindsay Matikosh both recorded five kills; Matikosh also added team-highs of nine digs and three blocks.

Sophomore Alexis Bouie and freshman Katie Henry both played well-rounded matches. Bouie and Henry both finished the night with four kills and seven digs each.

The next night, the Bulls faced off against the Thundering Herd at Alumni. Early in the match, UB had a two-game lead with the scores of 32-30 and 30-24. The Bulls couldn't hold on, however, losing steam and dropping the next three games 20-30, 27-30 and 12-15.

The Bulls were led once more by the veteran play of LaCour who totaled 45 assists, nine digs and a career-high nine blocks.

Matikosh posted 16 kills, 17 digs and four blocks while Ashare had 15 kills, five blocks and two aces.

Bouie also put up career numbers with nine blocks, seven kills and six digs.

This weekend, the Bulls will be home again facing two MAC opponents. The UB squad hosts Kent State University Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. The following Saturday, Nov. 10, the Bulls will face Akron University also at 7 p.m.