Letter To The Editor

I'll Be At the Game

I am writing in response to The Spectrum opinion piece "Prove Me Wrong" dated Nov. 14. Unfortunately, most of what Sports Editor Michael Scott has written about our school's football program, particularly its fans (or lack thereof) is true. Most of it. He states, "I will not expect to see any students there," referring to this weekend's home game against Akron. Well, not only is Scott wrong, I, along with a number of others will "prove him wrong" on Saturday.

Granted, our student body is very apathetic to our football team. But, even those of us that do attend the games on a regular basis are apathetic at times. For example, our Buffalo Bills are having a terrible season thus far, and there has been much apathy towards the team. However, through all that has happened this season, I can say with certainty that the "real fans" have not stopped supporting their NFL franchise here in Buffalo, and likewise we still support our Bulls here at UB.

It wasn't until the Ohio game not two weeks ago that I realized that "it is great to be a Buffalo Bull" (that one's for you, Alpha Sigma Phi). Even the football players across the hall from me seem more excited about playing. One of the guys on the team even asks me if I am going to the games now. All I tell him in response is "Hell yeah." Trust me, the support for this team is growing.

So Scott, call us what you will, but this Saturday I will be there for my 10th straight home game. Whether that makes me a "real fan" or not doesn't really matter, instead what matters is that we are there on Saturday, louder than ever (even louder than the Ohio game), supporting the Bulls, win, lose or draw. Go Bulls.