Letter To The Editor

I find it interesting that for every day the American flag is flown in front Founders Plaza, there is a day when it is not. This may not come across to some people as a big deal. For others it may simply go unnoticed. However, it is important that this not be allowed to happen, for a variety of reasons.

The American flag is more than just a flag; it is a symbol. It symbolizes everything that one sees going on around them on any given day. It is in the United States that a person, regardless of their gender or race, is entitled to an education. It is in the United States that students at universities such as this can organize rallies, and speak out without condemnation. It is in the United States that one can criticize their government and its leaders, and not be persecuted.

That it seems many people, student and professors alike, do not understand, is that all of world is not like the United States. In many of the nations world wide, acts that we may regard as everyday activities would be considered horrendous crimes and often subject to extreme punishment.

Today, as we enjoy these freedoms that have been painstakingly bestowed upon us, the men and women in uniform are yet again placing their lives on the line to defend everything we take for granted. The attacks of Sept. 11 were of an unspeakable nature. They were attacks not only on the United States, but everything our country stands for. It is important that senseless attacks like this do not happen again; it is what these brave men and women are working for.

The American flag must be flown to recognize those who have given and those who are still giving to protect this country. It must be flown as a constant reminder of the freedoms each and every one of us posses. Most importantly, it must be flown to symbolize everything that surrounds us.