Kollarova Takes First in Second Singles

Freshman tennis sensation Michaela Kollarova has laid a firm foundation for the future of UB women's tennis with some impressive early season wins.

She built success a few tiers higher over the weekend by taking home the second singles championship title at the New York State Women's Collegiate Championship at Binghamton University.

"She showed determination and great shot selection. She played like a seasoned veteran," said UB Head Coach Kathy Twist.

Kollarova dominated throughout the tournament, never dropping a single set, to finish 36-14.

She advanced in the first round by Hofstra University freshman Allison Kelley's default. In the second round, Kollarova was victorious over Adelphi University's Tashi Sharmi by a score of 6-2, 6-4. Albany University's Ilissa Strolovitz was next, losing 6-4, 6-1 in the semifinals.

In the finals, Kollarova took the first set 6-3 over Dowling College's Jackie Legnon. She battered Legnon in set two, winning 6-0 and taking the set, match and second-singles tournament championship.

"This match was played under very cold and windy conditions. However, Michaela [Kollarova] was able to overcome all distractions and focus on the game," said Twist.

In other action, up and coming UB star Sheri Ugowski was knocked out of the tournament by Legnon in the quarterfinals. She took a sound thumping in set one, losing 6-1, but put forth a valiant effort in the second set and narrowed the loss margin to 7-5.

In doubles competition, UB seniors Shari Amarasinghe and Jennifer Wong tried making a run to the finals, but were ousted 8-5 in the semifinals by Binghamton's Alexis Brill and Amy Weissberg.

"Our seniors, Jen Wong and Shari Amarasinghe, also had a great tournament," said Twist.

The combination of youth and experience for the team has proven to be successful so far this season.

Their next match is at home Wednesday at 3 p.m. against Canisius College.