"SA Cancels Fall Fest, Sponsors Buses to NYC"

In response to the Pentagon and World Trade Center disasters, the undergraduate Student Association and Sub Board I, Inc. have postponed Fall Fest 2001, originally scheduled for this afternoon, until late September or early October.

The decision to postpone the Fest was made late Wednesday afternoon by the Fest committee, composed of SA officers Christian Oliver, Joshua Korman, Naazli Ahmed, and Sub Board I President George Pape.

"Due to respect for thousands of UB students feelings for the tragedies in New York and Washington, we are postponing the Fest," said Oliver.

"A huge portion of the students at this school are from the New York City area, and are either directly affected by it or are at one degree of separation from it," said Korman.

"We didn't think it was appropriate to have a rock concert in lieu of everything," he added.

A tentative date of Oct. 1, 2001 has seen set for the Fest, pending approval of headliners Everclear and 3 Doors Down.

The concert will be held - sans beer tent - at Alumni Arena, said Oliver, who commented that "[the Department of] Athletics did an absolutely wonderful job on accommodating our request."

All Alumni Arena activities, including varsity sports' practices, will be cancelled for Oct. 1 if the Fest is rescheduled for that date.

"We were pleased that we didn't have any games scheduled ... and our coaches have all been cooperative in adjusting their practice schedules," said Director of Athletics Bob Arkeilpane.

SA does not foresee any financial penalties arising from rescheduling the Fest, which will still be free to all UB students.

"We're not going to give up students' money. This is a national catastrophe and I think people will be understanding," said Korman.

SA is also responding to the disaster with free busing to New York City for UB students. At least three buses will make the trip tonight, with more added to the caravan if necessary, said Oliver.

Bus tickets are available at the SBI ticket office on the second floor of the Student Union.

"We feel it's the least that we could do for those who had losses in their families or want to go home to make sure their families are okay," Oliver said.

The trip is being funded by SA, and may be supplemented with university funds, said Oliver, noting that Dean for Student Affairs Barbara Ricotta was "very helpful" with making the trip possible.

Buses will leave the North and South campuses at approximately 10 p.m. tonight, and arrive in New York City at about 5 a.m. They will return Tuesday morning.