Felisha Legette-Jack is staying in Buffalo

Women's basketball head coach signs five-year extension with UB

<p>Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack cuts down the nets after the Bulls secured the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament back in March. Legette-Jack's new contract comes after a historic season for the program.</p>

Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack cuts down the nets after the Bulls secured the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament back in March. Legette-Jack's new contract comes after a historic season for the program.

Felisha Legette-Jack has signed a five-year contract, keeping her in Buffalo after a historic season for the Bulls.

The new contract runs until 2023 and guarantees she will stay at UB for the next season. At a press conference Tuesday, she thanked Athletic Director Mark Alnutt and the athletic department for its support in putting the deal together. The contract comes two months after the Bulls’ record-breaking season came to an end.

“It is an honor to be here and to be where we are [as a team,]” Legette-Jack said in a press conference Tuesday. “The Sweet 16 was the culmination of what we had done here and 28 years of coaching. It’s something I had never done as a player or as an assistant coach; to do it with this team at this time is remarkable.”

The Syracuse native is coming off her most successful season as UB’s head coach, earning the program’s first two NCAA Tournament wins and breaking the school’s Division I season wins record with 29.

Legette-Jack also lead the program to its first MAC Championship during the 2015-16 season. During her six seasons as head coach, the Bulls have gone 119-76 and are coming off three straight 20-plus win seasons.

“I think this is a place, where not just football and women’s basketball but [all Division I sports] can really become something significant in this great state of New York,” Legette-Jack said.

The announcement comes two months after men’s basketball head coach Nate Oats signed an extension with UB that also runs until 2023. Legette-Jack has already talked about her goal for an Elite Eight appearance this off-season and said she is confident in the team after losing five senior players this past season.

“We have an incredible group of six young ladies coming in next season,” Legette-Jack said. “We hope that the community will continue to jump on board and springboard us forward on our journey. Today is a great day.”

Thomas Zafonte is the senior sports editor and can be reached at thomas.zafonte@ubspectrum.com and @Thomas_Spectrum.

THOMAS ZAFONTE

Thomas Zafonte is a senior English major. He is a UB sports fan and enjoys traveling around Buffalo. 

Tom.jpg