UB men’s soccer rolls to third consecutive win

Kuta blanks Stony Brook as men’s soccer moves to 3-0

<p>Junior Fox Slotemaker at UB stadium against Stony Brook Friday morning. The Bulls defeated Stony Brook 3-0.</p>

Junior Fox Slotemaker at UB stadium against Stony Brook Friday morning. The Bulls defeated Stony Brook 3-0.

On a day that was supposed to belong to UB’s football team, it was men’s soccer that looked most impressive for Buffalo.

In a Friday morning matinee at UB Stadium, Buffalo (3-0) defeated the Stony Brook Seawolves (1-2) 3-0. Junior goalkeeper Joseph Kuta notched his third consecutive shutout to open the season, a feat no UB goalie has achieved since 1981. Senior forward Russell Cicerone scored on a penalty kick in the 56th minute and also added two assists to freshman forward Richard Lindqvist and senior midfielder Brandon Scales.

“We are in really good form right now which is exciting for the team,” said head coach Stu Riddle after Friday’s game. “We are not conceding goals and our goalie and back four are playing really well.”

Stony Brook outshot the Bulls 20-9 and held a 7-2 edge in corner kicks, but Kuta was able to bail his teammates out.

“He is one of the best goalies I have ever played with,” Cicerone said. “An unreal shot stopper, unreal leader… he is an all-around great goalkeeper.”

The first goal of the game came from Lindqvist, who was able to take advantage of an outstanding long ball from Cicerone.

With his goal and two assists, Cicerone now leads the nation in goals (6), and points (16). He is also now tied for second all-time in career assists for Buffalo with 17.

“The guy is out of this world. He continues to lead us off the field, on the field, he is just an incredible player,” Riddle said. “I would be surprised if there was anything else [than Cicerone winning MAC Player of the Year.].”

Ultimately, Buffalo was able to keep its foot on the gas and dictate the pace of the game, something its star player acknowledged after the game.

“We exploited them with our pace,” Cicerone said. “We had chances to lock them in corners and that's how a couple of our goals came.”

UB will play its next game Sept. 4 at 11 a.m. against the Incarnate Word Cardinals at UB Stadium.

Thomas Zafonte is a sports staff writer and can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com

THOMAS ZAFONTE

Thomas Zafonte is a senior English major. He is a UB sports fan and enjoys traveling around Buffalo. 

Tom.jpg