Saturday, July 27, 2024

Mercury spill locks down part of Fronczak Hall

The spill ‘does not pose a threat’ to community members’ health

<p>Fronczak Hall's northeast entrance is still closed.&nbsp;</p>

Fronczak Hall's northeast entrance is still closed. 

A “small” mercury spill was discovered on a walkway outside of Fronczak Hall on Monday, shutting down the building’s northeast entrance. 

UB’s Environment, Health and Safety Office (EH&S) secured the area “as a precaution” and has been investigating the origins of the spill. So far, EH&S hasn’t identified a “definitive source” for the mercury.  

“While the spill does not pose a threat to the health and safety of the UB community or building occupants, the spill does require remediation work, including some excavation, to limit the environmental impact,” EH&S Director Joe Raab said in a statement to The Spectrum on Thursday.

A record of the spill in the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s (DEC) spill incident database lists the amount of mercury spilled as “unknown.” 

The site of the spill remains secured. 

Raab added that UB has “remained in close consultation” with the DEC, which keeps track of and helps clean chemical spills. 

Grant Ashley is the editor-in-chief and can be reached at grant.ashley@ubspectrum.com   

GRANT ASHLEY
4D1A3172.jpg

Grant Ashley is the editor in chief of The Spectrum. He's also reported for NPR, WBFO, WIVB and The Buffalo News. He enjoys taking long bike rides, baking with his parents’ ingredients and recreating Bob Ross paintings in crayon. He can be found on the platform formerly known as Twitter at @Grantrashley.