UB softball splits Tuesday doubleheader against Kent State

The Bulls dropped the first game before bouncing back for a 2-1 win in the second game

<p>The women's softball team has 11 games left in their season.&nbsp;</p>

The women's softball team has 11 games left in their season. 

UB softball (13-24, 5-11 MAC) split a doubleheader against the Kent State Golden Flashes (20-18, 6-10 MAC) on Tuesday afternoon, losing 6-1 in the first game before bouncing back in the second to come away with a 2-1 win. 

The Bulls couldn’t capitalize on a no-hitter through five innings from fifth-year pitcher Alexis Lucyshn in the first game, as she gave up a walk to start the game before retiring six batters in a row.

Lucyshn struggled in the sixth inning, giving up six runs as the Bulls only mustered one. Despite the loss, the pitcher finished with nine strikeouts. She also scored UB’s lone run, with junior infielder Alyssa Wasielewski scoring on a single. 

In the second game, the Bulls fared much better. Senior pitcher Julia Tarantino pitched seven innings for a complete game, allowing one run and striking out four batters. It was Lucyshn again who came through for UB, sparking a two-run inning in the first to help the Bulls earn the win. 

The Bulls next face the Northern Illinois Huskies (12-27, 5-12 MAC) in DeKalb, Illinois on Saturday for a three-game weekend series. The games will be streamed and available to watch on NIU All-Access. 

Editor's note: This article has been updated as of April 18. 

Henry Daley is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at henry.daley@ubspectrum.com    

HENRY DALEY
henry-daley.jpg

Henry Daley is an assistant sports editor at The Spectrum. His work has featured on other platforms such as Medium and Last Word on Sports. Outside of the newspaper, he enjoys running and watching sports (when he’s not writing about them).