Softball loses 2-1 in nailbiter series against Ball State

After a close first game, UB was unable to keep momentum throughout the series

<p>Senior in-fielder Madison Fernimen scored a run during the Bulls' first game of the series.&nbsp;</p>

Senior in-fielder Madison Fernimen scored a run during the Bulls' first game of the series. 

Women’s softball (12-20, 4-7 MAC) won one game narrowly, lost another in overtime and were defeated in a blowout this weekend at Ball State University. The Bulls showcased their prowess  throughout the series, but ultimately lost 2-1 against the Ball State Cardinals (16-21, 3-8 MAC).

The Bulls won their first game 7-6, with both teams flexing their offensive and defensive capabilities.  Sophomore first basewoman Abbey Nagel hit a ground ball to second and forced a bad throw from the Cardinals, which allowed fifth-year pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn and senior in-fielder Madison Fernimen to secure two runs. Lucyshyn gave an overall excellent performance, sealing the game for UB.

But the Cardinals would soon turn the tables in the second game with a grand slam in extra innings, bringing the score to 13-9. The Bulls put up a good fight, with sophomore outfielder Mia Mitchell hitting a two-run home run. Sophomore catcher Lyla Ambrose tied the game at 8-8 with a two-run home run, helping UB to recover from a sloppy fifth inning.

The series concluded on Sunday with a brutal 7-1 loss for the Bulls. Negal scored the first point with a double steal, but that wasn’t enough to maintain their momentum throughout the whole game.. The Cardinals mounted an astounding comeback thanks to a tying run from their third basewoman, redshirt junior McKayla Timmons. A bases-loaded sacrifice fly from redshirt sophomore utility player McKenna Mulholland cemented the Cardinals’ victory both in the game and the series.

The Bulls play next at Central Michigan on Friday at 3 p.m.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com 

Darcy Winter is the fact checker and can be reached at darcy.winter@ubspectrum.com