Alexis Lucyshyn throws sixth no-hitter in UB softball history

<p>Fifth-year pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn tossed the sixth no-hitter in UB softball history Friday.</p>

Fifth-year pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn tossed the sixth no-hitter in UB softball history Friday.

At the Hail Southern Classic on Friday, fifth-year pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn etched herself into the UB softball record books. 

In the opening game against Winthrop Eagles (8-12 BSC), Lucyshyn delivered for the Bulls (7-10, 0-0 MAC) with the sixth-no-hitter in school history in the 1-0 win. Lucyshyn pitched six flawless innings, ending the win with nine strikeouts and two walks. 

It was the program’s first no-hitter since Ally Power did it on March 27, 2018, lifting the Canadian into elite company. Other notable players who have tossed a no-hitter for the Bulls include UB Hall of Famer Tori Speckman, who did it twice in 2014. 

The game against the Eagles saw quality performances from both pitchers, with Winthrop’s Megan Powell no-hitting the Bulls for five innings until sophomore Abby Nagel broke through for the first hit of the game with a single. After Nagel busted the game open, senior Tianna Williams drew a walk to bring home the eventual winning run. 

After UB scored, Lucashyn retired the final three batters she faced, recording six straight outs across her final two innings. 

Henry Daley is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at henry.daley@ubspectrum.com 

HENRY DALEY
henry-daley.jpg

Henry Daley is an assistant sports editor at The Spectrum. His work has featured on other platforms such as Medium and Last Word on Sports. Outside of the newspaper, he enjoys running and watching sports (when he’s not writing about them).