John Stutzman out as UB’s head wrestling coach

UB Athletics will commence a national search for Stutzman’s replacement ‘immediately’

<p>UB wrestling went 10-12 overall in the 2023-24 season under Stutzman's leadership, with a 5-3 record in conference play. &nbsp;</p>

UB wrestling went 10-12 overall in the 2023-24 season under Stutzman's leadership, with a 5-3 record in conference play.  

Wrestling head coach John Stutzman will not be returning for the 2024-25 season after 11 years leading the wrestling team, UB Athletics announced Thursday evening. 

Athletics will commence a national search for Stutzman’s replacement “immediately,” according to Athletic Director Mark Alnutt.  

“I want to thank Coach Stutzman for his dedication and service to the UB wrestling program,” Alnutt said in a statement. “While his tenure was marked with many highlights and accomplishments, after much discussion and thorough evaluation of our program, at this time, I believe a fresh start will move the program forward.”

A spokesperson for UB Athletics declined to answer follow-up questions from The Spectrum regarding the reasons for and circumstances surrounding Stutzman’s departure. 

Stutzman became the UB wrestling head coach in 2013 after nine years as the head coach of Bloomsburg University’s team. He led the Bulls to finish second in the MAC championships in 2019, the same year he was named MAC coach of the year. He earned the 150th win of his coaching career in early 2020. 

The one-time coach once wrestled as a Bull too. Stutzman graduated from UB in 1998 as the wrestling program’s all-time leader in wins. 

“I’m not a nine-to-five guy, I’m a combative guy,” Stutzman told The Spectrum in 2022. “I coach wrestling and that’s all I want to do. I can’t do anything else in life.”

Stutzman had been removed from the wrestling team’s coaching roster as of Thursday evening. 

UB wrestling went 10-12 overall this season, with a 5-3 record in conference play. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 

Grant Ashley is the editor in chief and can be reached at grant.ashley@ubspectrum.com  

GRANT ASHLEY
4D1A3172.jpg

Grant Ashley is the editor in chief of The Spectrum. He's also reported for NPR, WBFO, WIVB and The Buffalo News. He enjoys taking long bike rides, baking with his parents’ ingredients and recreating Bob Ross paintings in crayon. He can be found on the platform formerly known as Twitter at @Grantrashley.