Women's Tennis goes 1-1 during spring training trip in Florida

Lady Bulls compete on the south coast against Hillsborough and Florida Southern

<p>The team's record sits at 12-2 with only three matches left before conference play.&nbsp;</p>

The team's record sits at 12-2 with only three matches left before conference play. 

UB Women’s Tennis (12-2, 0-0 MAC) faced off against Hillsborough Community College (2-0) and Florida Southern College (2-4) while traveling to Florida this weekend. The Bulls fell 2-5 to the Hillsborough Lady Hawks and won 4-3 to the Florida Southern Mocs. 

Coming into the week, fifth-year Ambre Amat and junior Esmee Andresen earned MAC (Mid-American Conference) doubles team of the week, the second time the pair earned such an award this season after they were honored for their crucial role in the team’s strong performance last week against Duquesne and Niagara.

The first of the competitions saw the JUCO team, Hillsborough, defeat the Bulls 5-2. UB came out strong, winning two of three doubles. Fifth-year Azra Deniz Comlek and freshman Laura Koralnik won 6-4 at second, and sophomore Deanne Choo and graduate student Jagmeet Kaur won 6-3 at third. 

But the Hillsborough Lady Hawks came out victorious after winning all but one singles sets. This dropped Buffalo’s away results to 2-2 on the season.

The Bulls turned it around after taking only their second loss of the season for a tight 4-3 victory over Florida Southern at the Wynee Warden Tennis Center. Amat and Andresen proved their worth with a 6-4 win at second. That performance helped Buffalo sweep the doubles, along with a 6-2 win by Comlek and Koralnik at first and a 6-3 win from Kaur and Choo at third. 

For the singles, Choo saw a 6-3 and a 6-2 win at sixth singles, while Amat completed the victory over the Mocs with two 6-4 victories at fifth position. 

The Bulls have only three matches left before MAC play. The women return to action at Cleveland State on March 3 at 3 p.m. EST. 

Evan Hilbert is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at evan.hilbert@ubspectrum.com 

EVAN HILBERT
evan-hilbert.jpg

Evan Hilbert is an assistant sports editor at The Spectrum. He also is a three-season student-athlete with UB’s DI cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track team. He’s a fan of the Milwaukee Bucks, Newcastle United F.C., and the Buffalo Bills.