Sunday, April 28, 2024

Campus Dining opens Latin American-themed eatery

Sabor Latino offers a sit-down experience of Latin cuisine

Sabor Latino, the new Latin-themed campus eatery located on the second floor of SU is now open with limited hours.

Campus Dining and Shops’ (CDS) opened a Latin American-themed eatery, “Sabor Latino,” on the first day of the spring semester. 

The eatery is located on the second floor of the Student Union behind Pistachio’s in the Tiffin Room’s former location. It operates from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays as a sit-down restaurant. 

CDS decided to open “Sabor Latino” due to the demand for Latin American food in One World Café and dining satisfaction surveys, according to Raymond Kohl, the director of marketing and communications for CDS.

“Our chefs are proud to honor this region through a menu filled with diverse authentic culinary delights,” Kohl wrote in an email to The Spectrum last semester.

The menu features Latin American cuisine, with dishes and desserts like arepas, yuca fries and tres leches cake. “Papel picado,” a form of traditional Mexican art, hangs from the ceiling outside and Latin music playing inside.

“I’m Hispanic, so I think there’s something very homey and reminiscing about here,” Anais Irizarry, a freshman civil engineering major, said. “The food is well-seasoned, it’s great.”

Grant Ashley contributed to this reporting. 

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com