Volleyball sweeps Miami, clinches MAC Tournament spot

Bulls stay in control of MAC East with 2-0 weekend

<p>UB women's volleyball clinched a MAC Tournament berth over the weekend.</p>

UB women's volleyball clinched a MAC Tournament berth over the weekend.

UB women’s volleyball (22-5, 12-3 MAC) won both games against the Miami (OH) RedHawks (5-22, 1-14 MAC) this past Friday and Saturday at Alumni Arena. Both meetings ended in a decisive 3-0 victory for the Bulls, keeping them on top of the Mid-American Conference (MAC) East table and second overall in the conference. The Bulls clinched a spot in the MAC Tournament with Saturday’s senior-night victory, marking the Bulls’ first back-to-back MAC Tournament appearances since 2018-19.

During the game on Friday, UB managed to outclass the RedHawks in every aspect of the game. Junior setter Mandy Leigh, who was recently named MAC East Division Setter of the Week, supplied 41 total assists, more than Miami’s entire team combined (33). Senior outside hitter Katrin Trebichavska had an impressive showing as she led the game with 14 kills.

Saturday’s game followed a similar formula. Although Miami had the lead for the majority of the first set, UB quickly turned the tides and won the set after scoring eight uninterrupted points and rode that momentum to win the match. Trebichavska once again had an impressive performance, ending the game with seven digs and 15 kills. Junior libero and outside hitter Maria Futey also stood out with two aces and 10 digs. 

The Bulls finished Friday and Saturday’s games with an overall hitting percentage of .451 and .378 respectively; they currently lead the MAC in hitting percentages with a .275 mark.

UB will now play a two-game away set at Bowling Green (14-12, 8-7 MAC) next Friday and Saturday. Both games will take place at 6 p.m and can be streamed on ESPN+.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com