Monday, April 29, 2024

Football loses to Ohio at home, 20-10

UB drops to 3-3 in the MAC with a loss to the Bobcats

<p>The UB football team fell to 0-4 after losing 45-38 to the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns.</p>

The UB football team fell to 0-4 after losing 45-38 to the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns.

UB football (3-7, 3-3 MAC) lost a must-win Mid-American Conference (MAC) matchup against the Ohio Bobcats (7-3, 4-2 MAC), 20-10, at UB Stadium Tuesday night. Despite the loss, the game highlighted the Bulls’ defensive ability as they held Ohio to 236 total yards.

This game eliminated the Bulls from any bowl contention going forward. The Bulls struggled this season, starting their first four games with losses and then finally recording a win against Akron, a conference matchup that ended with a score of 13-10. 

This matchup against the Bobcats was mostly a low-scoring contest, until the fourth quarter when the Bulls had their biggest drive of the game, ending with junior quarterback CJ Ogbonna to run it into the endzone for a two-yard touchdown. 

The Bobcats came out strong slightly after and sniped a 25-yard field goal. That was followed by a game-sealing touchdown by redshirt sophomore running back Sieh Bangura, bringing the score to 20-10 with just under two minutes left. 

UB head coach Maurice Linguist showed his disappointment in the postgame press conference. 

“I’m disappointed that we’re not gonna be able to continue to play more extended games, I think by and large,” Linguist said. “And again, as the head coach, we continue to take full responsibility and accountability for everything that happens on that football field.” 

After being held to zero points in the first half, the Bobcats woke up in the second half of the contest. Ohio freshman kicker Gianni Spetic scored a 29-yard, game-tying field goal which Bangura followed with a rushing touchdown, giving them the 10-3 lead. Despite that lead, top performers like Bulls graduate running back Ron Cook Jr. and senior quarterback Cole Snyder helped bring the ball down the field, allowing the rushing touchdown by Ogbonna. The Bulls alternated Synder and Ogbonna nine times, after Snyder went 14-41 on pass attempts last week. 

Linguist expressed frustration with how the team handles kickoff returns, saying they need to perform better on kickoff returns. 

“The big story of this game field position for us: We had one kickoff return where we didn't field the ball,” Linguist said. “We started the drive on the five-yard line, we went three-and-out, and they got the ball back on the plus side of the 50 that turned into points.” 

The Bulls head to Yager Stadium in Oxford, Ohio, for another MAC showdown against the Miami (OH) RedHawks (7-2, 4-1 MAC). The game can be streamed live on ESPN+.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com