Sunday, April 28, 2024

Campus Dining plans to open Latin American eatery next semester

The opening of “Sabor Latino” was preceded by a new grab-and-go stand in NSC

<p>"Bulls on the Run," a grab-and-go eatery, opened in the Natural Sciences Complex on Monday.&nbsp;</p>

"Bulls on the Run," a grab-and-go eatery, opened in the Natural Sciences Complex on Monday. 

Campus Dining and Shops (CDS) will be opening a “fast-casual style” Latin American eatery in time for the start of the spring semester, a CDS spokesperson said. 

The eatery, dubbed “Sabor Latino,” will be located behind Pistachio’s on the second floor of the Student Union. CDS decided to open the eatery because of student demand for Latin American cuisine in dining satisfaction and One World Café surveys, according to CDS Director of Marketing and Communications Ray Kohl. 

“Latin American food — with influences including indigenous, Spanish and African foodways — offers an amazing kaleidoscope of cultural cuisines,” Kohl said in an email to The Spectrum. “Our chefs are proud to honor this region through a menu filled with diverse, authentic culinary delights.”

Kohl added that CDS Assistant Executive Chef Amelia Ruiz has a “tremendous background in Latin American culture and cooking” and is “really looking forward” to making dishes at “Sabor Latino.” 

CDS also opened a grab-and-go eatery, “Bulls on the Run,” in the Natural Sciences Complex (NSC) on Monday. The eatery had been under renovation review since 2020, but Kohl said the project was delayed because UB and CDS decided to prioritize other projects. 

“As we continue to build our staffing levels post-pandemic, it has been and continues to be our goal to open more dining locations, offering our UB community more options,” Kohl said. 

Grant Ashley is the editor in chief and can be reached at grant.ashley@ubspectrum.com  

GRANT ASHLEY
4D1A3172.jpg

Grant Ashley is the editor in chief of The Spectrum. He's also reported for NPR, WBFO, WIVB and The Buffalo News. He enjoys taking long bike rides, baking with his parents’ ingredients and recreating Bob Ross paintings in crayon. He can be found on the platform formerly known as Twitter at @Grantrashley.