Takeaways from women’s soccer draw with UConn

UB goes into conference play with a 3-1-3 record

<p>The Bulls went down in the first half and had to play catch up until the 60th minute.&nbsp;</p>

The Bulls went down in the first half and had to play catch up until the 60th minute. 

Women’s soccer (3-1-3) traveled to UConn (3-2-2) on Saturday, leaving the Constitution state with a 1-1 draw. The game was the team’s last before Mid-American Conference (MAC) play begins this week.  

The Bulls went down in the first half after the Huskies got ahead on a corner kick to score the first goal of the game in the 28th minute. The Bulls had to play catch up until the 60th minute, when sophomore midfielder/forward Katie Krohn made a shot on goal that was saved by UConn’s goalie. Fifth-year midfielder Leah Wengender capitalized on the rebound, bringing the score to 1-1, which was the final. 

Here are two takeaways as the team heads into conference play: 

“Second half team”

Last year, then-first year defender Ellie Simmons told The Spectrum that the Bulls were a “second half team,” as many of their goals came after halftime. 

That statement held true on Saturday, as the Bulls showed their ability to dominate during the second half against UConn. Teams get tired, the game seems to fizzle out, and that’s exactly when UB strikes.  

Wengender was able to capitalize off an opportunity and set up Khron to get the goal, keeping UB’s six-game undefeated streak alive. The team had six shots in the second half, compared to three in the first. UConn’s goalkeeper had to make three saves in the second half. UB put up a more defensive battle, as UConn didn’t have a single corner kick in the second half after producing five in the first. 

The final third issue

The Bulls have been prolific in producing on shots on goal this season, but are lacking on g goals in those opportunities. UB had five shots on goals versus UConn’s three. The Bulls have scored eight goals so far this season. At this point last season the team had 15 goals. Every game this season, UB has dominated or tied when in the shots on goal category but have been unable to capitalize on their opportunities. 

Coach Burke’s thoughts

“That’s a very good UConn team, and a great measure for us heading into conference play,” head coach Shawn Burke said in a statement. “If we can find this level for MAC play we will be in a really good place.”

MAC play coming up

UB plays its first conference game on Thursday at Akron. Akron finished ninth in the MAC last season. The Bulls won 3-0 in their most recent meeting, last September. 

Kick off is set for 7 p.m. and the game can be streamed on ESPN+

Amy Maslin is the senior sports editor and can be reached at amy.maslin@ubspectrum.com