Softball’s brutal weekend included no-hit loss, series sweep and ninth-straight defeat

Bulls drop to No. 10 in the Mid-American Conference

<p>Although three Bulls made it home, Ball State pitchers kept UB out of the hit column on Sunday afternoon's game. &nbsp;</p>

Although three Bulls made it home, Ball State pitchers kept UB out of the hit column on Sunday afternoon's game.  

Softball (10-28, 4-10 MAC) lost all three games of its weekend series with Ball State (21-21, 11-9 MAC) and extended its losing streak to nine games.

The low point of the series was Sunday afternoon’s 11-3 blowout. Ball State had a field day with the Bulls and led 6-0 by the end of the fourth. The Cardinals destroyed all hope of a comeback with an impressive five-run sixth inning, sealing the mercy-rule victory. 

Although three Bulls made it home, Ball State pitchers kept UB out of the hit column. Sophomore Angelina Russo picked up the four-inning win while walking five and allowing three runs. Freshman Bridie Murphy pitched the other two frames and helped complete the combined no-hitter for the Cardinals.

UB scored its only earned run via a Nagel RBI groundout. The Bulls later scored two unearned runs on a Ball State fielding error.

The Bulls are now ranked No. 10 in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) — second to last. UB only plays four more teams before the end of the regular season, with three of those four teams currently ranked top five in the MAC.

The other two games of the weekend were played on Saturday in a doubleheader. The first game of the day saw UB fall 1-4 to Ball State. The Cardinals started off hot, with a 2-0 lead in the first inning. The Bulls weren’t able to score a single run until senior pitcher and outfielder Mykaela Martin made it home in the fifth inning. Ball State answered right after, scoring a run of their own in the fifth. One more run for the Cardinals in the sixth sealed the deal, and the Bulls lost the first of two.

The second game of the day featured more of the same. Ball State took an early 3-0 lead by the second inning. UB answered with a promising third inning and pulled in two runs courtesy of freshman first basewoman Abbey Nagel and freshman outfielder Mia Mitchell, but the Bulls failed to score any afterwards. The Cardinals took advantage and scored a run in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings respectively. Ball State took the game 2-6, sweeping the Saturday doubleheader against UB. 

UB picked up its 10th MAC loss of the season. Softball will look to improve upon this weekend’s disappointment when they host the third-place Central Michigan Chippewas (21-19, 11-6 MAC) in a three-game series on Friday, April 21 at 3 p.m. at Nan Harvey Field.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com