UB School of Public Health awarded federal funding for mobile health clinic

The clinic aims to expand healthcare access to “medically underserved communities”

The mobile clinic will provide food services, conduct screening visits and offer prevention services.

The UB School of Public Health received $933,800 in federal funding for a mobile health clinic.

The clinic will be stationed at the Seneca-Babcock Community Association in Buffalo’s Babcock neighborhood and is expected to serve “medically underserved communities” in urban and rural areas across the Western New York region. 

“The University at Buffalo’s mobile health clinic will build on existing partnerships to meet members of our community in greatest need where they live to provide comprehensive care,” U.S. Rep. Brian Higgins said in a press release. “Thanks to this critical funding secured in the federal budget, we can eliminate barriers to care and make a long-term investment in a healthier future for our community.”

Higgins called the lack of reliable transportation as being a “barrier” to healthcare access and keeping appointments. 

“As a public research university, UB is driven by our mission to partner with the members of our community so we can better understand — and best address — the health needs of our region,” UB President Satish Tripathi said. “By focusing on the needs of our neighbors who are medically underserved, we will work in concert with our community to achieve health equity — a goal that we have long shared with Congressman Higgins.”

According to a UBNow release, the mobile clinic will feature rooms for medical exams and a patient interview area. The unit has yet to be built.

Kiana Hodge is a news editor and can be reached at kiana.hodge@ubspectrum.com