LaQuill Hardnett transfers to Arkansas State

Hardnett uses UB ties to join head coach Bryan Hogson and assistant Jamie Quarles for 2023-24 season

LaQuill Hardnett will be joining former UB assistant Bryan Hodgson at Arkansas State.

The men’s basketball team will find itself without a key leader once the 2023-24 season begins. Over the weekend, senior forward LaQuill Hardnett announced via social media that he will be transferring to Arkansas State to play his fifth and final collegiate season.

Hardnett was one of the eight UB players that entered the transfer portal since the firing of former head coach Jim Whitsell on March 11. The seven other players that entered the portal include sophomore guard Curtis Jones, junior guard Zid Powell, sophomore forward Kuluel Mading, sophomore guard Kidtrell Blocker, freshman guard Devin Ceaser freshman center Isaac Jack and freshman guard Jaden Slaughter.

Along with Hardnett, Caesar and Mading have also found new homes. Ceaser transferred to Old Dominion and Mading heads to Norfolk State.

Hardnett will be following in the footsteps of former Bulls associate head coach Jamie Quarles, who also recently left UB to join another former UB assistant in Bryan Hodgson, who recently became the head coach of Arkansas State.

Hodgson is widely regarded as an effective recruiter, so Arkansas State was most likely on Hardnett’s radar soon after entering the transfer portal.

Hardnett had his best season as a Bull in 2022-23, averaging 11.1 points per game to go along with 7.3 rebounds per game in 31 games played.

Brandon Cochi is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at brandon.cochi@ubspectrum.com