Former women’s soccer player signs with Australian team

Fifth-year goalie Emily Kelly signed with Australia’s Gungahlin United F.C.

Goalkeeper Emily Kelly has signed with an Australian pro team following a successful career at UB.

Former UB women’s soccer goalkeeper Emily Kelly signed a deal with Australia’s Gungahlin United Football Club (GUFC), UB Athletics announced Monday.

Kelly, a Wilson, New York native, is one of the all-time greats in UB women’s soccer history. She started all five years she played at UB, playing in 88 games. Her 54 wins and 34 shutouts are both program records. 

In 2022, she anchored a team that won the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championship with stellar numbers. She led the nation with 13 shutouts and set the UB single-season goals against record, allowing just 0.43 per game. Her 15 wins in 2022 are the second-most in a season in UB history and her .934 save percentage ranked third.

In her final season with the Bulls, Kelly became the second player in school history to receive Second Team All-American honors and also earned MAC Goalkeeper of the Year and First Team All-MAC honors.

“We are so proud of Emily and can’t wait to see her flourish at the next level,” Bulls head coach Shawn Burke said in the UB press release. “From day one, Emily has always trained like a pro and that work ethic and dedication will continue to open doors for her.”

GUFC plays in Australia’s National Premier League. The team is based in the Australian Capital District in the capital city of Canberra. The team plays its home games at the Gungahlin Enclosed Oval.

Kelly will join the club”s NPL team for the 2023 season, which began in early April.

Ryan Tantalo is the senior sports editor and can be reached at ryan.tantalo@ubspectrum.com

RYAN TANTALO
tantalo-2023

Ryan Tantalo is the managing editor of The Spectrum. He previously served as senior sports editor. Outside of the newsroom, Ryan spends his time announcing college hockey games, golfing, skiing and reading.