We need to break away from the normality of objectifying women

We never asked for all these labels

Women are objectified all the time. 

It happens when we’re at school, in the gym or even just on the street. 

There’s never a time when a woman feels she’s free of male judgment.

I shouldn’t have to think about the judgment I may face every time I’m picking out an outfit.

There’s a difference between being confident in my body and trying to show it off (which there is absolutely nothing wrong with).

Society loves to tell women what they can or can’t wear. What makes them sexy or ugly. We are always labeled. 

Fat, skinny, sexy, ugly: these are all labels women hear on a daily basis. We are always shoved into categories. We never asked for this.  

It’s sadly something we’ve become used to. In middle school, you are labeled as “distracting” for wearing a spaghetti strap tank top that shows your shoulders.

In high school gym class, you’re labeled as “inappropriate” for wearing tight leggings that show your newly-developed curves.

When you wear ripped jeans around your grandparents, they act like you’ve committed a cardinal sin.

Why do other people get to decide what to label me? 

Women are scrutinized for the slightest bit of sexual expression. 

It’s all so hypocritical. The media claims to advocate for women’s body positivity, for us to be confident and comfortable in our skin. 

But when the cameras are off, we’re shut down and belittled for displaying even a shiver of confidence. 

I should be comfortable with feeling confident. I shouldn’t have to worry about being sexualized.

Women will always be oversexualized because of the masculine norms that objectify our body parts, which we have no control over.

How is it fair that I can’t wear a sports bra at the gym without getting reprimanded and told to cover up, but guys can wear tank tops with the sleeves cut all the way down to their torso? 

The double standards for being sexual are unfair and sickening.

If a man sleeps around, he gets praised. But if a woman does it, she gets shamed and loses her respectable image. 

We need to break away from these stereotypes and allow women to live their lives free of judgment.

Victoria Hill is the senior news editor and can be reached at victoria.hill@ubspectrum.com