Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Hoose goes 1-2 at NCAA wrestling nationals

Giuseppe Hoose finishes his strong season with one final win at the NCAA Tournament

Giuseppe Hoose was eliminated from the NCAA Wrestling Tournament Friday. The 184 lb. redshirt senior went 1-2.

The bright spot for Hoose came in his second match Thursday. Hoose picked up a 6-4 win over graduate student Jacob Ferreira from Hoose’s former school, Hofstra. It was an even match for the first period. In the second, Hoose got to his offense and scored a takedown, taking a lead into the third period.

Hoose seemed to be in control throughout the third, until Ferreira was able to get inside and score a takedown of his own. Unfazed, Hoose remained composed and fought through the position to score a reversal and regain his lead. He ultimately rode out Ferreira, grabbing his only win of the tournament. 

Hoose’s win came after he fell in his first match of the tournament to junior Abe Assad of Iowa. It was a rematch of a November bout between the two, which Assad won in a technical fall with the score 22-7. 

In this rematch, Hoose fell 5-2 despite being the aggressor throughout, constantly trying to get to his shots and work his angles. In the end, this was exactly what Assad wanted. He simply waited for Hoose to leave an opening and then capitalized on it. 

In his final bout, Hoose was eliminated after he fell to sophomore Colton Hawks of Missouri, 6-2. Hawks was dominant in the win. He was able to control the top position well and not let Hoose get to his offense.  

Hoose finished out the season with a 21-9 record and a lot to be proud of. He was the only wrestler to represent UB at nationals, and it was the first time he made the NCAA tournament and first time he finished a season with a winning record at UB. 

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com