Women’s basketball can’t hang on in Saturday’s dramatic finish versus Central Michigan

Bulls’ losing streak extends to three in a row, UB has now lost seven of its last eight games

<p>&nbsp;Fifth-year guard Zakiyah Winfield racked up 19 points in her 37 minutes of play.&nbsp;</p>

Fifth-year guard Zakiyah Winfield racked up 19 points in her 37 minutes of play. 

Women’s basketball (9-12, 4-8 MAC) tallied their third-straight loss in a heartbreaker to Central Michigan (5-18, 3-9 MAC) Saturday. Despite a good look on a drive up the lane by fifth-year guard Zakiyah Winfield in their final possession, the Bulls fell to the Chippewas, 72-71, via fifth-year CMU guard Mikayla Hall’s late game heroics. 

The Bulls sit just outside of Mid-American Conference Tournament play at ninth in the conference. UB currently holds the tiebreaker against Miami (OH), with CMU and Ohio University both behind in the standings by one loss. 

The Bulls started off slow, allowing a 7-2 CMU run to, which quickly led to an 18-11 deficit at the first media timeout. Fifth-year guard Jazmine Young answered with back-to-back steals, leading to two fast-break baskets and cutting into the Chippewas lead. A three-ball by fifth-year guard Re’Shawna Stone brought the Bulls back within four to make it 22-18 at the end of the first quarter. 

UB didn’t lead at the beginning of any of the four quarters. Their first lead of the game, 37-36,  came late in the second quarter by a timely bucket  plus an and-one free throw  by Winfield. The lead was quickly retaken by the Chippewas courtesy of a 3-pointer from Hall in the final seconds of the quarter, putting CMU back on top entering the half. 

The third quarter began with back-to-back 3-pointers by CMU, followed by a quick response by Winfield with a mid-range jumper and fast-break layup on back-to-back drives to pull the Bulls back within one. The quarter ended on a 10-2 run by the Chippewas, who led 58-53 entering the fourth. 

The Bulls faced their largest deficit in the fourth quarter: 11 points. They managed to chip away at CMU’s lead, setting up first-year forward Hattie Ogden for a go-ahead 3-pointer to put the Bulls ahead 71-70 at the 1:26 mark. After defensive stops by both teams, Hall’s mid-range jumper with eight seconds left secured the win for the Chippewas, 72-71, with UB unable to score on their final possession.

The Bulls took advantage of what they were given, scoring 17 points off turnovers to CMU’s six. Outsourcing the Chippewas in the paint 36-35, UB secured 16 second-chance points. But UB was also out-rebounded 34-29, while surrendering eight steals and eight blocks.

Stone was the game’s leading scorer, recording 23 points while picking up four rebounds and six assists. Winfield racked up 19 points in her 37 minutes of play.  

UB will look to bounce back in its next game, where they will host Kent State (15-8, 7-5 MAC) on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The game can be streamed on ESPN+. 

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com