UB Box Office’s third-party vendor reports data breach

The vendor, AudienceView, will provide free credit-monitoring services to those potentially impacted

<p>Individuals who made purchases at the UB Box Office between Feb. 17 and Feb. 21 are at risk for having their information compromised.</p>

Individuals who made purchases at the UB Box Office between Feb. 17 and Feb. 21 are at risk for having their information compromised.

UB Box Office’s third-party vendor, AudienceView, reported a data breach Wednesday that may have jeopardized the personal information of 292 customers. 

Those who made purchases at the UB Box Office between Feb. 17 and Feb. 21 are at risk for having their information compromised, UBIT’s Vice President and Chief Information Officer J. Brice Bible said in a Thursday email to students.

UB spokesperson John Della Contrada said that credit card numbers are among the compromised information and AudienceView “will provide further details along with free credit-monitoring services.” 

Della Contrada added that it is currently unknown how many customers were students.

Nawal Ismail, a senior biomedical sciences and neuroscience major, is among those potentially impacted by the data breach. Ismail reported receiving notifications for several unauthorized UberEats transactions after she made multiple purchases through the UB Box Office. 

And she isn’t alone: Something similar happened to three of her friends. 

“It’s scary how much info and access UB has, particularly the ticket office,” Ismail said. “Everything is online, and it’s never a guarantee our information is safe. With the volume of information UB ticket office has, they’re definitely an easy target and at high risk for a breach.” 

Ismail added that she is “not confident it won’t happen again.”  

UBIT is encouraging students to monitor all their financial records and statements to ensure that no unauthorized transactions have been made on their accounts. 

AudienceView did not respond to a request for comment. 

Suha Chowdhury is an assistant news editor and can be reached at suha.chowdhury@ubspectrum.com